I can't find anything out about my great grandfather. please help?

His name was John (W.?) Taylor born about/around 1892 maybe in PA. He married Laura Rose Foster. I've tried ancestory. I even got a membership just to find out information because no one in my family seems to know.

1930 United States Federal Census

about John W Taylor Name: John W Taylor

Home in 1930: East Syracuse, Onondaga, New York

View Map

Age: 38

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Birthplace: Pennsylvania

Relation to Head of House: Head

Spouse's Name: Laura R Taylor

Race: White

Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

John W Taylor 38

Laura R Taylor 26

Margaret B Taylor 7

Edward L Taylor 3 8/12

John W Taylor 2 8/12

Kenneth T Taylor 1

I already have this

Rootsweb helped me find out more about Laura

Favorite Answer

Where did he marry Laura? What year? Where were children born? When? Being born in 1892 he should have a WWI Draft Registration Card unless he enlisted in the Military before registration was required. Did you find him in the censuses of 1930 back to 1900? If he died after 1930 he should have a death certificate. Have you ordered that? If he worked after 1935 he should have a SSN. Do you know where he is buried? Do you know siblings names to help find in censuses before marriage. Do you know the names of all their children?

edit:

If the East Syracuse, Onondaga, New York 1930 census is your ancestor then you also know he was in WWI, as he has Yes.WW in columns 30 and 31. He was first married at age 30 so abt 1922 or 8 yrs and Laura maybe 2nd marriage as she has first married at age 21 and she is 26 in census, so she is married 5 yrs. Oldest daughter Margaret is 7 yrs and there is just under 4 yrs before his second child his born, with third and fourth born within all born within abt 12 months of each other.

his occupation was Signal man for Steam Rys (could be railway).

So look for John in 1920 census as single and a possible marriage record for John in 1921/22/23 and not to Laura Foster. Look for marriage record for Laura and John about 1924/25/26. In my opinion anyway.

Source(s): Ancestry
  • Regina

1930 United States Federal Census

about John W Taylor Name: John W Taylor

View Map

Age: 38

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Birthplace: Pennsylvania

Relation to Head of House: Head

Spouse's Name: Laura R Taylor

Race: White

Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age

John W Taylor 38

Laura R Taylor 26

Margaret B Taylor 7

Edward L Taylor 3 8/12

John W Taylor 2 8/12

Kenneth T Taylor 1

No.1 Ask your parent that is descended from John Taylor what they might know.

No. 2 sit down with a sheet of paper and list what you you know and what you want to know.

No.3 If he lived in the same area as you do and you know date of death. Get his death certificate if you do not have it.

No.4 go to www.genealogy-research-tools.com, from home page go to family first.

After checking that page click on nav bar for vital records.

No.5 get a library card if you do not have one. Here you can access ancestry.com at the library for free. They also have Heritage Quest, which you can access from home

by using there database.

Source(s): 31 years working with my genealogy and accessing online websites.

You should be able to find his death cert which is more recent. The first thing you might focus on is method. Genealogy requires documents, since people usually won't know their entire family. One document opens the door to the next level.

TAKE some time at rootsweb.com for their tutorial. Seriously. Without basic foundation, you won't benefit as much from the pay sites..