Can I get a General Under Honorable Conditions Discharge upgraded?

I was recently discharge from the Army for shoplifting a $60 video game from the PX on base. I was in AIT at the time which made it a lot easier for me to be separated from the service on a Chapter 14C, Commission Of A Serious Offense. I received a General Under Honorable Conditions Discharge with a RE Code of 4 on my DD214. After speaking with my former unit commander it turns out the Army made a mistake and it showed in their records that I had failed a drug test. This came out to be false and had nothing to do with me because we took one drug test during AIT which I passed. So they made a mistake on their end. My commander said that he will get my DD214 RE Code changed to a 3 which I understand still requires a waiver. Now is there anyway I can upgrade me discharge due to the mistake made or anyway at all? I have recently been employed by a local police department to do accident investigations. This was my first criminal offense in military or civilian world. Im not looking for sympathy or anything I have suffered enough for my extremely stupid mistake. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do at this point?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Favorite Answer

Yak is correct. The only way that you can get a discharge upgraded is if you can prove it is in error. So it wasn't a failed drug test, it was shoplifting. Big deal. You still committed a crime and was discharged.

by USMC79

"ask the Department of veterans affairs to help you or find a REALLY GOOD layer with military experience in JAG and take your chances if your pockets are deep.

Your Proctologist is trying to contact you...they found your head.

The VA has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone trying to change any part of a DD-214.

You can't. The only way to "upgrade" a discharge is to prove it was awarded in error. You're lucky you didn't get an Other Than Honorable.

General under honarable is actually pretty good. ask the Department of veterans affairs to help you or find a REALLY GOOD layer with military experience in JAG and take your chances if your pockets are deep. If not, just enjoy your life man. Travel, see things, do everything that you have always wanted to do. Many on active duty would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Thank God youre still alive and just go and live your life.

Lol stealing video games? Man that's some dumb **** bro come man lol.

One thing I do know these idiots in the military understand is Congress. They all scramble like roaches when a Senator or Congress member gets called so try that. I did and was able to transfer to a completely different post. Trust, a Colonel will pee himself if he knows a Senator is after them. They know rank don't mean **** in the real world so try that