Do laptops really get heavier with more files? *read description*?

I mean even if it's like 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 nanograms doesn't everything have mass and weight so wouldn't an installed file have to weigh something?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A hard drive has the same volume whether it has something on it or not. I mean, the thing uses magnetic particles or something to put things on the disk. And, it doesn't matter, since it takes up the same space, regardless of whether it has a 1 or 0, or nothing.

Once you write something to disc,and you later erase it, it still remains, only changed. So the disc is basically always "full", in a sense, but with different material on it depending on what is written to it.

It is like having a bottle of air and adding more air, the new air just displaces the old air and the new air is still the same volume as the old air.

Maybe....maybe when new, a hard drive is vacant of stuff, but I don't know. And I don't think the stuff put on it would weigh anything anyway. It is magnetic, and just changes.

Best I can explain it.

You could be right, who knows? But as far as your laptop getting hearvier, the dust on it would probably make more of a difference then what is put on the disk.

• 9 years ago

No. The information on the computer is not a physical object, therefore it has no weight or mass.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

NO! files do not add anything to the machine, they just change the molecular alignment of part of the hard drive.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Seriously? That's like saying your brain gets heavier with every new bit of knowledge

• ?3 years agoReport

your brain does get heavier tho

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

No...your hard drive comes fully loaded with all the "particle's" it can hold..YOU are simply rearranging those particle to actually mean something to you. there is no weight gain or loss.

• Alice
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Heehee, information does not have mass.

Here is an explanation for you:

http://mtl.math.uiuc.edu/non-credit/compconn/bits/...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

nope, but it will with use (all the dust that gets ingested by the heatsink) XD

Source(s): Certified Network Engineer and Systems Tech
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, code is mathematic sequencing. It has no math.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.