Did I break my finger?? Help please.?

So today a few hours ago I was at school playing football when I tried to catch the foot ball and it hit against my finger (for those who play football I think you know what I mean) anyways the pain went away in a few minuits but it started to feel weird. It wasent swallon (I think I spelled that wrong) but it felt a little weird when I moved it in a certain way. It wasen't painful it just felt a little swallon and I can't exacly pin point where it is but I got an ice pack from the nurse and it went away just a little bit.. Now I still have that feeling a little bit when I move it. I can still move it like normall like im even typing with it right now. its just when I need to lift something or pull something it hurts a little bit. Did I break my finger or what? I would really like to know before I ignore it and something gets messed up because it didn't heal correctly or whatever. And maby if you guys have a website or something that give a little info about what I injured or whatever. By the way it's my ring finger that hurts and a little bit in my middle finger. Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

If there is no displacement (weird bend) in the finger, then a break is going to be treated much like a strain or sprain.

You need to remember RAISE:

Rest - try to not use the hand any more than you absolutely have to. Not just today - for the next couple of weeks.

Aspirin - Aspirin or Ibuprofen for pain and to reduce swelling. These two reduce swelling. Acetaminophen and Naproxin don't. Swelling is your enemy.

Ice - Your best weapon against swelling. A couple of ice cubes in a zip lock bag will work. Better yet, 3 parts water and 1 part rubbing alcohol (you can buy it cheaply at any drug store.) in a zip lock bag - then into a second bag to protect against leakage. This gets colder than water and stays kind of slushy so you can wrap it around a body part easily. When it thaws, refreeze. Put a thin cloth, like a tee shirt, between the ice and the injured part. Ice can damage the skin, so don't put it directly against the skin. Keep ice on for 20 minutes, if you can stand it. It will be cold! Let it warm up - then ice again. Do this a couple of times per day.

Support - try taping the two fingers together. This will have them support each other - like a splint - and acts as a great reminder not to use them (remember - Rest?).

Elevation - try to keep the injured area elevated - slightly higher than your heart. When you are sitting, leave that hand across your chest with the hand higher than the elbow. If you can, when lying down, rest the hand on a pillow.

You have a weak spot now. If you give it a chance to heal, it will be fine. If you wait two days, feel like you are O.K., and go out and hyper-extend that finger again, you run the risk of injuring it much worse. If you are going to do things that are going to put that finger at risk, it needs to be taped to provide additional support. Give it two or three weeks before resuming normal activity.

Source(s): wrestling coach

Did I Break My Finger

You May Have Staved It If You Don't Know What That Means Its Like Nearly Broken But Not. You Would Have Been In ALOT More Pain If You Did Break It But Go To A Doctor To Make Sure :) Hope It Helped xoxo

• Shana

Broken finger

Ok so idk if it's broken maybe u should tell ur mom or dad and see what they say because if it's broken u can't move it like this summer my pinky was really swollen beaches I hit it against the wall and I couldn't bend it all the way and when I went to the hospital they said it was sprained so yes yours could be sprained but u should deal with it imedjatly hope I helped good luck!

Go to the doctor... just do it. I was playing that stupid football game where you catch the ball for points...I don't know what it's called. But I played it in middle school, screwed up my pinky... now like 10 years later my pinky still snaps and doesn't bend right... just have it looked at.

your finger isnt broken... you wouldnt be able to move it and would be in excruciating pain...... It may just be sprained or strained.... call the doctor and explain it to him/her, they may want to splint it