Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

How prevalent is marijuana use in the Christian world?

• Nous
    Favorite Answer

It should be non existent but so should being a BAD christian!

Marijuana potency has grown steeply over the past decade with serious implications for users. Average levels of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive ingredient) in marijuana sold in America rose from 3.5% in 1988 to 8.5% in 2006.

In the same period the number of admissions to psychiatric hospital caused by the drug soared by 85 per cent due to the fact that those who smoke the drug regularly are more than twice as likely to suffer illnesses such as schizophrenia, hallucinations and delusions later in life.Teens using marijuana to alleviate feelings of depression just compound the problem.

People who smoke "skunk" are almost seven times more likely to develop psychotic illnesses.

As well as psychotic illness cannabis can cause affective disorders such as depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. Even worse it is linked to cancers.

The toxic substances in marijuana smoke, especially the toxicity of acetaldehyde, causes damage to DNA. Because of its lower combustibility it contains 50% more carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons including naphthalene, benzanthracene, and benzopyrene, than tobacco smoke. Ammonia levels are 20 times higher while hydrogen cyanide, nitric oxide and certain aromatic amines occurred at levels 3-5 times higher. Users tend to inhale more deeply than cigarette smokers, which increases respiratory burden.

It has been shown that the damage usually starts from the first one!!

THC increases the activity of a pathway that promotes protein synthesis in the brain. This transient increase of protein synthesis is mediated specifically by cannabinoid receptors expressed on the brain’s inhibitory neurons, and correlated with long-term memory deficits.

Cannabis users display neuropsychological dysfunction (relative frontal lobe functioning deficits, cognitive inhibition) and attentional deficits similar to those found in schizotypal or schizophrenia patients.

Regular use can shrink the parts of the brain which control memory, emotion and aggression. The hippocampus, which is thought to govern emotion and memory averages 12 percent smaller and the amygdala, which has a part in controlling fear and aggression, 7 percent smaller. This suggests that heavy daily use may be toxic to human brain tissue.

Blood flow velocity is significantly higher in users and they have higher values on the pulsatility index (PI), which measures the amount of resistance to blood flow. This is thought to be due to narrowing of the blood vessels that occurs when the circulation system's ability to regulate itself is impaired. This leads to abnormalities in the small blood vessels in the brain.

The active chemical in MJ called delta-9-tetrahyrdocannabinol (THC) binds to cannabinoid (CB) receptors located on several cell types in various organs. This greatly increases the risk for heart attacks and strokes in addition to impaired learning and memory.

It can also effect physical health. Three to four cannabis cigarettes a day cause the same amount of damage to the lungs as 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day. Thus there are rising levels of lung diseases such as emphysema.

It can also effect the unborn child. Scientists have identified that endogenous cannabinoids, molecules naturally produced by our brains are functionally similar to THC from cannabis and play significant roles in establishing how certain nerve cells connect to each other. Maternal cannabis use allows THC to travel through the placenta and impair fetal brain development and impose life-long cognitive, social, and motor deficits in affected offspring.

Low doses of Ä-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), equivalent to that in the bloodstream of an average marijuana smoker facilitate infection of skin cells and can cause these cells to turn into malignant sarcoma. Men who regularly smoke cannabis have a 70 per cent increased risk of testicular cancer.

And then there are all the car crashes caused by people driving under the influence of drugs that are at this moment being quantified. But they already show one in five drivers killed is under the influence of drugs and that more drug drivers kill than drink drivers!!

The smoke and heat are preparing them for where they will spend eternity!

Source(s): Cardiff University Copenhagen University Yale University Universitat Pompeu Fabra Karolinska Institute Molecular Psychiatry American Academy of Neurology American Association for Cancer Research American Chemical Society National Institutes of Health White House Office of National Drug Control Policy Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre institute of psychiatry - King's College London

Marijuana is a plant. It doesn't hold ANY position, for OR against any religion. That's like asking, "Is this chair against Christianity?" No, only PEOPLE are against Christ and God. If your asking why some of us believe it is wrong to use marijuana, that's a horse of a different color all together. You see, marijuana is part of the thistle family of plants, and God cursed the earth with thorns and thistles after Adam and Eve sinned and were kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Personally speaking, I sure wouldn't want to put a curse in MY mouth, or absorb anything from a cursed plant, but if that's your bag, hey, go right ahead - curse yourself by using marijuana. It's no skin off MY nose! Just don't complain about the results or the consequences! And YOU'LL have to decide how much curse you want to take upon yourself. ME, I prefer 0 curse. But how much is OK? Curse yourself and find out.

Christians are instructed plainly by the Bible to obey the law. So: Christians who smoke marijuana are violating Scripture (except in the Netherlands). In my experience, most Christians who smoke marijuana (I never have) realize that it is wrong to do so. I would *guess* that marijuana use among Christians is much less than marijuana use among society in general.

I know "christians" who smoke pot but they aren't usually hardcore practicing chrstians. That may just be because I don't usually make friends with super religious people because I'm very much a sinner in their eyes.

I`ve no idea I have never lived in the Christian world.

Christian world ROFLMAO, is that like DIsney world

my brother is a christian, mainly because our family is christian. and he smokes weed like I drink beer.

Source(s): Atheist

Look like the anti-christ has finally been revealed... you won't win anti ganga warrior, you don't stand a chance against the bongs of christ!

I'm Christian and I myself use cannabis.

• ?

Christan world....what are you talking about?

christian world? that must be a small world, hiding somewhere behind the real one....