Livia asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Do adults have better or worse memory than teenagers? Why?

Hi guys, i need help on an essay. I'm trying to do research and I need some help. Could you guys give me some brief information about my question so that I can further explain the information later? Please? Thank youu ! *

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi,

Im a medical student, as you are qriting an essay on this i assume you have some prior knowledge about the area/are studying it so here are some of the basics (as i understand them...its very complex!)

The storage of memory takes place in a number of key areas across the brain; involved in the process of learning and memory are the, hippocampus (medial elongated portion of the temporal lobe), various regions of the cerebrum and the cerebellum.

Memory is the storage of acquired knowledge for later recall, the neuronal changes that take place to allow storage and retention of a memory is known as the memory trace. Memory can be considered in three forms:

Short term memory lasting for seconds -> hours

Long term memory lasting for days -> years

Working memory is the process of taking short term memory and combining it with long term memory to complete as task such as drawing a clock then drawing the time on that clock.

The process of transferring a memory from short-term memory into a long-term memory is known as consolidation.

A single memory does not retained in a single neuron but rather is reflected in changes in quantities of synaptic neurotransmitter, or how neurons respond to a particular neurotransmitter, across a large neuronal network. Short-term memory involves transient modifications to pre-existing synapses whereas long-term memory involves permanent functional or structural changes between neurons. Three important regions of the brain associated with memory are the:

Hippocampus/Medial Temporal lobe: which also forms part of the limbic system and is responsible for memory consolidation converting short-term memories into long-term memories, long term memories are then transferred to other regions of the cerebrum based on their modality (visual, olfactory, auditory etc). The hippocampus is also involved in long-term potentiation (strengthening long-term memories).

Cerebellum: plays an important role in procedural memories, these are memories that are not consciously recollected but are the motor skills gained through repetitive training.

Prefrontal cortex: the site of working memory the prefrontal cortex is responsible for complex reasoning skills such as planning and problem solving which is dependent on working memory. It is proposed that an individual’s intelligence is determined by the capacity of their working memory.

With regards to how memory changes as you age im not sure i can help you without a bit more information. Are you asking about the developmental stages in childhood (which i know very little about!) or the degenerative changes in old age? It is widely appreciated that our cognitive function declines as we age (including but not limited to memory) which is associated with normal cerebral atrophy visible on CT and MRI. There is also much more about the dementias etc

Source(s): Medical Student
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I'm twenty and also have a bit have bad memory, or rather i can get pretty thoughtful sometimes and don't know what I am doing or forgot where i have put somethings. I am sure everybody does this. Try not to think too much. Be more focused on what your doing. And this helps a lot, If you must do something but scared you might forget. Imagine yourself doing it 3 times. This technique is very effective.

• 9 years ago

Adults do. Adults have more responsibility than teens do, for that reason their brains are disciplined to remember a lot more. I actually think women are much better than men at this. Although teens have school things to remember, adults have work, and home, business, child care, a house to run, bills to pay on time, all sorts of things about their children...the list goes on forever. You think teens have it hard? Just wait til your grown up and out on your own.

• 9 years ago

Normal aging may result in trouble learning new material. It may take longer to learn new things, and to recall new things that have been learned. It may take longer to retrieve information from the filing cabinet of your brain- information that used to be readily accessible, such as names of people or places.

Source(s): MA Counselor
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

adults for sure. doctors are all adults

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.