Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 9 years ago

my boyfriends urethera has a scab in it?

what should he do toget rid of it, he sais its been there for awhile

Favorite Answer

O.K. This may be a little long, but I am going to try to help you. I am going to assume that he is circumcised. Chances are the culprit was a fingernail. The same thing happened to my husband, he scratched the very head of his penis where his urethera opening was. I am not telling you this to scare you, I am telling you this to make sure he gets it taken care of. He needs to wash it twice a day first with dial soap and water, then with a product called phisoderm. Dry it really well and put a little neosporin on it. It should heal and go away. If it starts looking red or infected he needs to go to the doctor immediately. My husband and I didn't do that. I am a nurse, and we think we know everything most of the time, so I tried treating his here at home with just dial soap and water and neosporin. It started out as a little scabby scratch like place in the area you are inquiring about. When it got inflammed and started looking infected I tried for two weeks to get him to go to the doctor for it. No, he just wanted me to take care of it. Well, that little bitty bit of infection on the head of his penis got into his bloodstream. When that happens you get very sick. He went into a condition called septic shock. Septic shock happens when bacteria in your bloodstream starts attacking your major organs, usually starting with the kidneys. Most people don't survive it. The bacteria works faster than IV antibiotics do. He was lucky. He lived, but he is disabled and on insulin, medicine for his blood pressure, lungs, and cholesterol from the damage the infection did. Most of the time I give people easy, inexpensive solutions to get a scratch or something well, but your question hit close to home. The thought that bacteria could get into his urethera and go far enough to get into his kidneys and from there his blood stream. If you can't see any improvement in 5 days, he needs to go get some antibiotics. I often wonder if we did maybe things could have turned out differently. As I said, I am not trying to scare you or make you freak out. I don't think his will turn into such a problem if you all take care of it quickly. The treatment advice I gave you earlier in this posting is what the doctor at the hospital advised me to do about his scab when we got home. I hope I have helped you, and that you get this taken care of without any problems.

Source(s): Nurse, 20 years, hubby had same problem www.webmd.com