How do you statistically measure opposing trait values on a psych questionnaire?

I am conducting a survey in which part.'s evaluate the personality traits of a person in a scenario; I included both positive and negative characteristics that oppose each other so we could make sure that the trait evaluations match up (e.g. strong/weak, egoistic/altruistic), and I was wondering how the best... show more I am conducting a survey in which part.'s evaluate the personality traits of a person in a scenario; I included both positive and negative characteristics that oppose each other so we could make sure that the trait evaluations match up (e.g. strong/weak, egoistic/altruistic), and I was wondering how the best way would be to measure the values given for the negative characteristics-- should we just look at the positive and negative characteristics separately, or should we invert the values of the negative characteristics and compare those with the positive traits? Is there a statistical formula that I am overlooking?

Thanks so much for your help! I know this is a bit more in-depth than the average yahoo question.
1 answer 1