Ellie asked in TravelSpainIslas Canarias · 10 years ago

Best place to stay in Lanzarote?

We're thinking about going to Lanzarote and not sure which areas would suit us the best.

We are looking for a town that isn't tacky - i.e. full of British bars and cafe's and no dodgy nightclubs - but instead has a more traditional atmosphere and nice canarian bars and restaurants.

It probably needs to be near the sea but any suggestions would be great as we are hiring a car anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g673239... here you find the best hotels along with their reviews. So you can select accordingly.

Was nice helping.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I'd have to agree that Puerto del Carmen may not be the place you want. It's a great resort, but it is a holiday resort, and therefore has more than it's fair share of Brit bars and restaurants. Costa Teguise is more family orientated, and has some excellent tapas bars. Playa Blanca is quite a lot more upmarket and has a fabulous marina now.

If you really want to experience Canarian culture, I'd recommend staying away from the resorts and choosing a rural holiday in the north of Lanzarote. I'm biased though, I live there! But the villages of Haria, Punta Mujeres and Arrieta are authentic Lanzaroteño villages and fishing villages where you'll find incredible value for money, great local food and true beauty.

My wife runs a blog which is linked below, and you'll get plenty more information there.

• 10 years ago

The best choice is Puerto del Carmen.

You will find a great beach there as well, and as well a lively town which has been a fishing village in the past and has not lost its charm...

Hotel offer is quiet good in this area, between 4* / 3* and as well self catering apartments if you want to be independent.

Although my favorite hotel is LOS FARIONES www.grupofariones.com They have as well apartments with B&B and it is directly on the beach and in the city center...

The South (Playa Blanca) is very boring, of course it is full of hotel resorts.. but nothing else and Costa Teguise is... like being dead... it is really a strange resort... always windy and everything is artificial, small place, dead shopping centers, no life going on...

When you have a car, I recommend you to vist the TIMANFAYA national park, which is the volcano. (still NOT dead by the way...), the winery area LA GERIA (you can stop at wineries and test... Yaiza, a beautiful white village, the Jameos de Agua (a genial artist called Cesar Manrique transformed a volcanic tunnel into one of the most astonishing restaurant), the volcanic cave LOS VERDES, the Cesar Manrique Foundation, the Cactus garden, Los Hervideros de Agua... so many things to do... and if you still have time, take a water taxi and visit the islet of La Graciosa where you will find one of the most beautiful natural beach in the world and many, many turtles... and as well you can sail in 20 minutes to the neighbour island Fuerteventura to visit Corralejo, the only place where you will be able to visit natural dunes in Europe...

Have a nice and safe trip!!

Source(s): ... livin in Canarias...
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Best place to stay in Lanzarote?

We're thinking about going to Lanzarote and not sure which areas would suit us the best.

We are looking for a town that isn't tacky - i.e. full of British bars and cafe's and no dodgy nightclubs - but instead has a more traditional atmosphere and nice canarian bars and restaurants....

Source(s): place stay lanzarote: https://biturl.im/aUaWG
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Hi Ellie,

Dont go *Puerto del Carmen* then :) its exactly what you dont want... Try *Costa Teguise*, its more quiet than the first main resort, see webcam & map at : http://www.secretlanzarote.com/webcam.html

For Costa Teguise :

- Nice, cheap and good value aparthotel is Celeste Apartments : www.apartmentsceleste.com

- More expensive but also nice located hotel, Los Zocos : www.loszocos.com

- Typical canarian restaurants : la RepiKada (avda islas canarias), el Patio Canario

Have a nice vacations !

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

In Tenerife you can certainly do such a thing you feel like any day of the entire year thanks to its environment, organic surroundings and tourist infrastructure created for fun for all the household and this place is the right area for an excellent holiday and with hotelbye you are certain to get it. In Tenerife are plenty of points waiting for you really to find and one of those is in the south west coast of Tenerife. A spot that's a magnificent area for seeing whales free in the ocean. As much as 26 species are found only off the coast, including baleen whales, killer whales, dolphins, pilot whales and actually blue whales. In Tenerife you will also see The Teide National Park. At 3,718 metres, Teide volcano is Spain's best peak and its two ecosystems produce the rise an event high in contrasts.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Hi, congrats for the wise decision NOT to choose one of the touristic places ! I am running a small agency here for touristic and non touristic apartments and houses on the island. Feel free to contact me and let me know more about time of travel, budgets and your ideas of an ideal holiday home.

It is definetly the best way to discover our beautiful island: car and private home. Looking forward to hearing from you, best regards from Lanzarote,

Susanne

info@auszeit-lanzarote.de

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Puerto Del Carmen- Parke Tropical. Quiet apartments and well maintained. Reasonable price and near main strip also.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.