Will it really take a long time for us to phase to all electric vehicles?

I really want this transition to be complete in the next 20 years. Some people say that it will be complete by 2050. I promised myself my first car was going to be all electric. I like electric cars because some of them can get like 300 mpg. I know their charge times are really long, but advancements in charging technology can progress. We might develop wireless charging, or electromagnetic induction or whatever on the roads to charge our cars constantly on the road so we never ever have to stop. How long will gas last? I hate gas. It blows up and even though some people think it is not causing global warming and it is just fine, it still produces nasty exhaust that smogs up our cities. I want everything to at least be clean and efficient. Efficiency can make people have more money.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • GABY
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

And where does the power come from to charge the Electric Cars? Coal? Gas? Nuclear is probably now a dead issue. Oh, you think it will be wind and solar - LOL.

Study and learn Physics, Math, and Economics. Then you will understand.

• 9 years ago

Not really, it's called critical mass. Once there are enough electric cars on the road you'll see recharging stations popping up all over. Shopping malls, movie theaters, parking meters, but there has to be enough electric cars on the road to make it worth while to put them up. They have to be able to make enough money off the recharging stations to pay for the station and the electricity and a profit.

The biggest obstacle you face is the number of different types of charging methods, it many have to be mandated that a standard charging method and voltage be adopted for all electric cars to simplify the charging stations, this would also make them cheaper to produce.

The other obstacle is the cost of the electric cars, gasoline will have to be $10+ a gallon or the price of an electric cars will have to be halved for electric cars to be a contender otherwise the pay back is just too far out for most people.

But it's just a matter of there being enough electric cars out there, once that happens it won't take long for the rest of the pieces to fall into place.

• 9 years ago

Perhaps you could purchase your first electric vehicle now in the form of two wheeled transportation. I have begun to see many shop owners purchasing electric bikes for deliveries. Within the next 3 years every major vehicle manufacturer will offer an electric vehicle for sale. Also in that time, it is expected that battery costs may be reduced by half while energy density increases.

But the adoption of the EV as a mainstream vehicle will probably depend more upon the price of gasoline than any other factor. Eventually gasoline will be more expensive than most people want to pay.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, because everyone is as ready as they will ever be to change to a new form of engine or fuel. The thing is all of the solutions are more expensive than the gasoline cars we drive now because there is far less demand, and people don't want to invest in a $60K electric car only to have hydrogen become mainstream 2 years later. Everyone's waiting before they buy into the solution.

Also GABY could learn a thing or 2 from Solar courtsey of Fed Ex and BP:

http://news.van.fedex.com/fedexgroundsolarpanel

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

here in california they can't produce enough electricity to run air conditioners and home needs we would need twice as many nuclear power stations to even think about large numbers of electric cars and reducing charging times to the equivalent of a gas fill up is science fiction so far, even today's electric car batteries cost $7500 and last 3-5 years so the used electric car market will not work

• J.
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

It will never occur. Sorry to break the bad news to you.

You have to factor in the infrastructure needs for people to drive long distances with various sized loads, and electric vehicles do not offer the range to be flexible. They also do not fare well in norhtern climes.

In time you will understand that what you have been bombarded with in school is trying to take advantage of youthful enthusiasm that has not been tempered with life experience.

Electric vehicles do have a place, just not everywhere.

• Mike
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Three problems -

First, no one has mad a real electric car that is not a death trap or not extremely limited in range.

Second, if you are trying to get away from fossil fuel, most of the electric car is manufactured from fossil fuel bi-products...

Third, how is the electric going to be generated to run the vehicle?

• 9 years ago

i believe it will be complete around the 40s

sure, there will eventually be charging stations once there is a need, but its a cycle that will need to wait for revolutionaries to change

the technology will advance, and soon carmakers will have no choice but create more EVs for the sheer fact that it will cost less

gas cars are heading in the wrong direction. more weight, bigger, more hp. we need lighter, smaller, more efficient

Id like to see more people like you, and I recommend building your own EV. Cheaper and easier, in my opinion, and then you have a greater sense of ownership and accomplishment

Source(s): "I like electric cars because some of them can get like 300 mpg" haha, you realize mpg means mile per gallon...of gas.... of which electric cars use none... so they get infinite mpgs
  • 9 years ago

lol first car all electric. have fun taking the bus dude

• 9 years ago

don't think of your electric car as an electric car. Think of it as a coal powered car and then think again......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.