What is the difference between carb and tbi? what is better in different areas? ?

I recently was told my 1994 chevy silverado k-series is tbi. I thought it was a carb so am i ending with the better deal?

Favorite Answer

TBI is Throttle Body Injection. This is more efficient than a carburetor, with the flow of fuel controlled by the injector. In essence a TBI is fancy carburetor.

Source(s): 32 years in the auto business

Sort of a toss up.

Carbs are slightly less accurate at getting fuel into the intake in right quantity, but throttle body injection is slightly more complex and expensive.

They used tbi because it only uses 1 injector and therefore the same manifold as a carb.

But it still needs a high pressure pump, sensors, and electronic controls.

• Dusty

The industry went from full blowen carbs (not supercharged-just big complicated carbs) to throtlebody carbs to fuel injection back in the late 80s. Fuel injection systems are far more efficient (better gas milage) and one heck of less maintence.

Source(s): been there... done that... can't rememnber

it might look like a carburetor but you probably have a throttle body unit. fuel injection is better as long as it,s working. it,s easier on gas then a carburetor but a carburetor is easier to work on.