Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

What are the strengths/differences between Ancestry.com, FamilySearch.org, Footnote, HeritageQuest, etc?

I was curious what each site has that the other doesn't? And what each site's strengths are over the other websites?

• Tina
    Favorite Answer

Ancestry.com is a paid subscription site that has many databases with actual records and others that are just compiled records, a good example of this is:

US and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900

SOURCE INFORMATION:

Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.

Original data: This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived from an array of materials including pedigree charts, family history articles, querie.

DESCRIPTION:

This database contains marriage record information for approximately 1,400,000 individuals from across all 50 United States and 32 different countries around the world between 1560 and 1900. These records, which include information on over 500 years of marriages, were extracted from family group sheets, electronic databases, biographies, wills, and other sources.

Therefore, you cannot click on “View this file: and see the actual file because no file exists.

Then there are the family trees you have to determine what an actual record is and what is a source, see the following for a description of sources:

Sources from Ancestry.com—Ancestry Family Trees

1 Citation provides evidence for the following:

•Family Tree Information

Detail: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was…

Footnote.com is a paid subscription service that is owned by the same parent company as Ancestry.com; the big difference with Footnote.com is all of their databases have the actual images of the records and they have no family trees just 100% records. The subscription price is lower because they have fewer databases but if you find something on Footnote you get the whole record, not just a film number where you can find the actual document.

Heritage Quest I haven’t used much lately but it has all the US Federal Censuses, Revolutionary War Pension Files, printed genealogies, historical books and I’m sure other materials of genealogical interest that I have forgotten about all for the price of a valid library card. And Heritage Quest can be used from home 24/7.

FamilySearch.org is free and on their New Family Search website, soon to replace the beta website altogether, they are adding more and more records that have actual images. Legacy Family Tree Maker is working with the LDS Church to have their software do for the New Family Search website what Family Tree Maker does for Ancestry.com, in that, the software will be able to search the Family Search site from within the software, find records , save them to your Legacy software and create an appropriate citation with just a couple of click of your mouse…the Church members are testing the software now.

Currently using online databases is problematic because the documents are only as good as the search engine that sorts them. Family Search is free and has an awesome search engine. Ancestry is expensive and the search engine sucks hind tit. I can't tell you how many times I have found a census document on Family Search and not been able to access it to look at the actual copy of the document on Ancestry because they can't match the two even when I enter the exact information from the census record. I have heard Footnote's search engine is OK but not wonderful and I am not familiar with HeritageQuest.

I would be VERY careful when using Family Tree Maker and Ancestry together. I find that way over half the "matches" for data are the wrong person and you certainly don't want them entered automatically on your chart.

Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://bitly.im/aOkVU

Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

Of the 4 Familysearch.org is free, has a tutorial under the library tab and doesn't collect pedigrees and take ownership of Genealogy.

Footnote is a paid subscription offered to libraries and institutions that features historical records on major events like Civil War, World War I and II, it also has a Black history and Native American collections plus US Census records.

Heritage Quest is offered to subscribing libraries and is free to members of that library

It is not available for individual subscription, there is no soundex or wildcard search option sand the indexes are Head of household only

Finally Ancestry is a subscription site, it claims ownership of all the information input onto the site,

There s search feature with indexing and may have the widest variety of information available. Few of the Pedigree charts provide sources for the information provided and much of them have errors.

You might want to review genealogy-websites.no1reviews.com, it offers reviews on 50 or more sites.

Source(s): Genealogical researcher 35+ years

The word that jumped out here from the beginning is "autonomous." You pick this up later with "anonymous" do an interesting alliteration with "authority" and finish with reference to "autonomy" and breathing again at the end. An autonomous breath is very interesting. It strikes me as one which happens by itself without active participation. That makes me think about choices and whether we want to breath (or continue or live). It reminds me just that little of the line in the song "I only miss you when I'm breathin'." There is a sense of tragedy and heartache in these lines, no matter their whimsy. The sense of authority and its implications on choices made is also interesting. I like the way the words just flow. There is a sense this could be more succinct, but that doesn't feel to me the point of the exercise. The way you finish feels very rounded, more or less arriving where you started. This was well worth reading. Thank you.

With the exception of GEDCOMS's Ancestry has visual documentation of every file they have online, which the others do not. On any file you can click on "View this file" and see the actual file. Another thing they offer is interactivity with Family Tree Maker. If you have an Ancestry account and a later version of FTM you can bring up FTM and FTM automatically searches Ancestry and pulls up familial relationships and other info. The others do not do this either.

Source(s): 40 years of Genealogy Research
  • Maxi

Internet genealogy generally enables fast information which is what people want now, the only issue with all of them is they collect information and people who have not researched previously so are unaware what is collected/donated and what are records can end up collecting names and building trees of unrelated names...so fi you are using commercial/religious websites then you need to make sure you have a real record number you can check rather than rely on collection numbers which often do not have any record to prove t information..........................