Why did America stop building tall skyscrapers and other infustucture?

Places like New York, Houston, and other cities stop building tall skyscrapers because it is to expensive. I know we don't have money now but I'm talking about before we was in the rescission. Even when we get out of this mess we still won't. We have engineers so why we stop?

Update:

***infrastructure

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually we are constantly improving the infrastructure we have. You have to spend money maintaining what we already have.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Most of these other countries have money for such big public works projects which would cost 3-10 times as much in the U.S. due to building costs, labour laws, safety measures, and the politics of it all. But they do not have the share resources of engineers to accomplish designing such building. The burj khalifa was estimated at about 5-6 billion dollars (I still don't think the actually cost was ever released) but figured that would of cost 15-25 billion in the U.S. There's not many companies, even with a public-private subsidy of 50% that could afford a building of that price, wether it be by on hand capital or by borrowing. Almost all of the great skyscrapers being built today are design by American companies. This is because our education system lends itself for multiple areas of study to be mended together such as physics, computer science, engineering, mathematics, architecture, etc. Americas best resource is its people and the arrogance we hold ourselves too. Some might look down as such a trait but it is that "I can do anything" "I'm American" attitude that makes us want to push the limits. In due time with new technology, building will become cheaper because we won't have to pay so much for labour (actual labour, insurance, overtime, taxes, taxes, taxes.) Paying a 40 hour work 20 bucks and hour ends up costing a company 55 an hour plus that worker will have to give up a substantial amount of his pay for taxes after the fact. It's why we don't build big even though no country in the world can match us for share resource or have an economy that can withstand it. China highway will be the biggest in the world when done but they don't have the commerce to use it so many parts are not finished

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

People never did answer your question.

Suburban sprawl is the reason skyscraper building isn't as popular in the US lately. It's cheaper to build low rise buildings on open land in the suburbs than to build a skyscraper.

$4+ gallon gas and the real estate market collapse (outer suburbs were hit the hardest) is putting limits on that outward growth though.

Even the most pro-suburban areas with endless flat and cheap land (like Dallas-Ft Worth) are starting to grow inwards.

• ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Perhaps there just isn't a need for new ones right now. No point in building something you don't need. If you put up a big skyscraper and then can't lease out the space it's kind of a waste of money.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bond
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Perhaps you never get around to the fastest growing cities. Where cranes are building skyscrapers everyday. But we realized that chasing the "tallest" is futile with no real meaning. Now emerging countries feel the need for bragging rights.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The computer. They were built for nerve centers. Same company with lots of divisions in a central location. Or same as your memory in your computer. Today they need 1 floor only to do all it took a building to hold.And computers for every one. This helped cause the Office space collapse years ago here. Today you see them go up were land is to high priced to spread out. So think of them as a computer tower. Originally

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I'm sure what you mean is why don't we keep building them higher and higher out to the limits of practical engineering.

Only reason to do it would be if office space was scarce and expensive, which it is not.

Otherwise you're just making a big old phallic symbol out there. Which yeah there's a market for that too I suppose.

• 9 years ago

Because that would mean investing money in this country or as conservatives call it: spending money. We could have had a light rail started by now that would have created hundreds of thousands of jobs but republicans freaked out. They won't even allow money that would repair our roads and bridges because that would mean spending money. For some reason they have no problem handing out money to their rich friends to put in the greedy banks though!

• 9 years ago

Because all the jobs that city folk do went to China. Cities stopped growing and producing because politicians insisted in ruining our economy, our infrastructure, and our future.

Vote for term limits.

• 9 years ago

You won't see any for about 10 years.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No need to, there are plenty of buildings empty. They built a few near me, but they never filled with businesses

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.