every time i make pot roast the meat is to tough why?

i cut it into chucks and put everything in it cooks for about five hours and its still tough.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

before cooking your pot roast marinate it the day before ..

• RoyS
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Pot roast is best made with certain cuts of beef: Rump roast, chuck roast, arm roast, or top blade roast work well. Don't cut it up! Before roasting, sear all sides in a hot skillet with a few tbsp of oil. This seals the roast, and helps to keep it from drying out.

Place in your roasting pan, add cut up potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions, and some minced garlic. Season with thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Add 3/4 cup water. Cover. Place in slow oven (300-325) for 3-4 hours. Remove roast to serving platter, let rest for 15 minutes before serving. While roast is resting, drain juices from roasting pan into skillet. Add enough water to make 2 cups, bring to a slow boil. In a cup, mix 1 tbsp corn starch, OR 2 tbsp flour, with COLD water; mix well. Pour into the center of mixture in skillet, stirring briskly with a fork, until gravy is desired consistency (gravy will thicken as it cools).

Serve and enjoy.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The method of cooking is called braising .

Roy S got the process right But I prefer to use a dutch oven instead of the roasting pan that he suggested and I prefer to whisk in a peanut butter colored roux into the slowly boiling cooking liquid

Source(s): I've made a lot of pot roasts
  • nappa
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

you have to keep moisture with it like beef broth or a dry soup, mix ( onion flavor ) and water . keep it covered that way the moisture won't dry out. do from time to time check to be sure it has moisture/. start at 350 degrees and after 2 hours cut to 325 another hour and should come out nice and tender.

no need to cut into chunks by doing that you are seperating the meat into small pieces, better leaving whole so it cooks evenly together.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Five hours is a long time for anything to cook. It is prolly overcooked. Add stock and a little red wine(tenderizer). If you are cooking for 5 hours Temp has to be low.

• 9 years ago

put in in the oven in a oven bag mix the gravy that comes with the oven bag, put some carrots, celery ,potatoes, onions,all in the bag poor the gravy over everything close the bag. put a couple of slits on top of the bag . stick the whole bag in a pan put it in the over on 360 for 4 hours take out it will be nice and tender i do this all the time lol

• 9 years ago

I'm guessing you're not putting enough liquid.

Or perhaps you're cooking too hot.

Use a covered pot, like a Dutch oven.

Or a slow-cooker, or pressure cooker.

Low, slow, & moist.

• 3 years ago

My ultimate guess is which you had the "suited hurricane" of here issues: a million. incorrect decrease of pork 2. not sufficient liquid 3. Over cooking. 4. too lots establishing of the crock pot lid. For a pot roast interior the crockpot, you ought to use a roast that has a sturdy deal of marbling in the time of. A chuck roast or a sirloin roast may well be sturdy possibilities. you ought to use a around roast or a rump roast, yet they require greater liquid. Which brings me to issue no. 2: not sufficient liquid. in case you do use a around or rump roast, be constructive to function a minimum of a million/2 cup of water/broth/wine to the crockpot. which will supply the beef the fundamental liquid to become gentle. issue No. 3: Overcooking. in accordance with weight, you probably shouldn't cook dinner it greater effective than 8-10 hours on low, and that i'm being beneficiant. As to the previous "vegetable on the backside" issue. enable me be very clean: the producer ITSELF recommends which you set the vegetables on the backside. interior the sluggish cook dinner atmosphere, vegetables cook dinner lots greater slowly than meat does. As for the priority of the liquid attaining the beef, that may not a issue interior the sluggish cooker atmosphere, because of the fact lots of the steam it is generated for the duration of the sluggish cook dinner technique keeps to be in the sluggish cooker.... till..... Did you verify the sluggish cooker generally by lifting the lid? face as much as the temptation. You lose lots of steam (besides as decelerate the cooking time) every time you elevate the lid. Use a timer, tape the dern element close, regardless of it takes.

• 9 years ago

dont cut it or cook for less time or cook it at a lower heat.

• 9 years ago

Old beef & your cookin it too long

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.