How do you tell between Premium Ice cream and bad ice cream?

In terms of quality

• mim
    Favorite Answer

The only good ice cream, in my opinion, is organic. Julie's and Stoneyfield make very good ones. I think the heavier a container is, the more you get for your $. A heavier container means less whipped air in it. I won't go near any dairy that is not organic, including butter, milk, cream, cheese, 1/2 and 1/2 and especially ice cream. No Dairy Bar type stuff for me, and no big commercial brands of any dairy product either.

Where I live we have a diary that sells non-homoginized milk, where the cream floats on top. It is pasteurized, a necessary health precaution against certain pathogens that can make humans sick for long periods of time. If you are really interested in some good dairy, check out your local health food stores where to find a line on really fantastic milk and not a cheap, over-processed, unhealthy thing called some call dairy, when all it tastes like is milk flavored cardboard.

Why drink non-homoginized milk? Your heart's health will know because of this short quote that follows. I think it would be wise to take heed because the American Dairy Association would not make this widely known. I think it pays to educate yourself, especially when it comes to what you are putting into your body, if you truly do care about your health.

Robert Cohen, Executive Director of the Dairy Education Board, wrote in his article "Homogenized Milk: Rocket Fuel for Cancer," accessed Nov. 28, 2007 on www.health101.org:

"Homogenization is the worst thing that dairymen did to milk. Simple proteins rarely survive digestion in a balanced world.

Milk is a hormonal delivery system. With homogenization, milk becomes a very powerful and efficient way of bypassing normal digestive processes and delivering steroid and protein hormones to the human body (both your hormones and the cow's natural hormones and the ones they were injected with to produce more milk).

Through homogenization, fat molecules in milk become smaller and become 'capsules' for substances that bypass digestion. Proteins that would normally be digested in the stomach or gut are not broken down, and are absorbed into the bloodstream…

Homogenized milk, with its added hormones, is rocket fuel for cancer."

Source(s): retired chef who knows good dairy and wants to pass it on.

In my experience, u really do get more quality per dollar. The cheap store-branded ones have ALWAYS been bitter and bland. Im not saying the most expensive, but maybe somewhere n the middle. Happy shopping :)

• Daisy

Read the ingredients. Good ice cream will actually have cream and sugar. Bad ice cream will have skimmed milk or, worse, stuff you can't even pronounce.

One way is too see how fast it melts--the one that melts slower is probably better. If you don't have that kind of time, the one that has more calories per serving probably is higher quality.