We r in final phase of buying a house & a second (FHA) appraiser was sent out by the underwriter. He found?

mold in the basement & required sellers to get a professional mold test. The report came back stating "common mold which is in every house in the U.S." The underwriter is requiring sellers to do professional mold remediation which they don't want to do. Our loan officer had the mold inspector write a letter to the underwriter stating that this is only common mold which is in every house in the U.S. Sellers only want to clean the area with Clorox. I do know that mold has to come from a water leak, humidity, etc & we were told by sellers that the fireplace had a leak but has been sealed up. Also, they recently built a deck off the upstairs bedroom & my sister-in-law was looking at the house & stepped in a puddle of water on carpet inside door to the deck. You can see through to the outside through a small crack in the door but sellers have pulled up the boards on the deck & said there was a problem with the flashing & that's where the water was coming in which they supposedly repaired. The sellers have stated that if they have to do professional mold remediation, they will back out of the deal and rent the house. My questions are, 1. Can they rent the house knowing there is a known mold problem or should the health department & OSHA be called in. 2. If the underwriter agrees to the seller only cleaning the area with Clorox, would you back out of the deal? I am so upset with this because it is a very nice house but I do not want to move into a house knowing there is a mold problem. If there is a mold inspector or remediator reading this please tell me your opinion. Other opinions are also welcome. I have read all over the internet for something called "common mold" but can't find anything that calls it that. I am also concerned that it might turn into black mold.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, because the is NO mold problem, as per mold test. No, because, again, there is NO problem.

No, because there is no problem. Where you live now is filled with common mold spores, as are all stores, hospitals, streets, etc. Heck, you have them in your lungs!

Your only problem is FHA. They are notoriously picky.

NO. It will NOT turn into stachybotris, because there is NO problem to begin with

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

mould is the recent Asbestos and so gets disproportionate interest recently. As you word extremely inaccurately, mould spores are everywhere and could strengthen everywhere there is moisture, temperatures above freezing and no direct sunlight. "Black" mould and "uncomplicated mould" are fantastically lots modifications on a topic matter and greater in keeping with how long the mould grows and how nicely standard it turns into. The "black" areas are the fruiting bodies - the areas that make greater spores. Clorox will kill all kinds of mould. And in a stable adequate answer even kill the encapsulated spores. Kilz will seal the exterior and help preclude mould from re-installation. So, you have standard that this homestead has a uncomplicated difficulty. you have additionally standard that there is a uncomplicated and useful answer. it quite is an effortless actuality that mould (like peanuts) is fantastically benign - except (like peanuts) one is allergic to it. it is likewise an effortless actuality that whether the mould is remediated now, 20 minutes once you agree on the homestead it would desire to come again there or someplace else finding on circumstances. So it quite is a existence like request on the component to the vendor (and the vendor's brokers (that are the two considered one of them _and_ the broking provider, because it takes place)) to ask for a carry-probability unfastened. so which you may desire to ask your self whether you want the homestead adequate to settle for what's a uncomplicated project and what's going to require some interest and care on your section as you reside interior the homestead. except it quite is a clean homestead and you are the 1st occupants - if it quite is the worst factor modern in it, count quantity your self fortunate.

• bond
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

All homes have mold to some degree. The flashing on the deck can be fixed and can used as price negotiation issue.

• 9 years ago

clorox it and get it completely dry and keep it that way. test it then should be ok.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.