how to become a military nurse?

i want to be a nurse for the military i don't know what branch im leaning towards the army or navy but i don't know how to go about it and would i have to go to college and get a degree or what cause i just want to enlist and doing something that has to deal with medicine to help our men.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you truly wish to be a nurse in the Army you have two choices. You can be a RN (Registered Nurse) or a LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse a.k.a. Licensed Vocational Nurse). A RN, in the Army, must have a BSN, at a minimum. This is required prior to joining as a nurse. So you would have to go to college and obtain your Bachelors degree in nursing first, and then join the military. RN's are officers, and LPN's are enlisted.

To be a LPN, in the Army, you could talk to a recruiter about the MOS (Job series) 68WM6. 68W is the initial school teaching you to be a Medic, and is taught at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX. The M6 portion is a secondary school that is 52 weeks long. The M6 phase 1 is conducted at Ft Sam Houston, and the phase 2 & 3 portions are conducted at several other Army posts in the US. After successful completion of that portion you will have to obtain your LPN license by taking the NCLEX-PN test (which is required for completion of the course). This is an option if you do not wish to wait, or do not have the money for school.

After the M6 school you could seek to continue to finish your RN degree. If you do this while active duty it takes planning and a longer than if you went to school full time. If you are in a field unit, or deploy, this could make it take even longer. However, there are accredited schools that offer LPN-BSN completion programs. Some of the required credit hours can be obtained by taking DANTES, CLEP tests & Excelsior Nursing tests..

Good luck.

Source(s): Retired Army Former 68WM6 AIT Instructor RN
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

To become a nurse you must have a degree on Nursing and then apply to be a military nurse. To be a military medic you don't need to have a degree in medicine or nursing they just train you there.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

What about the women in the military? Are they on their own?

To be a nurse in any branch, you'll need a BSN.

You can go ROTC or you can get your BSN on your own and apply for a direct commission.

• 9 years ago

You have to be an RN to become an RN in the Service...

Source(s): Retired Marine...VSO...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

to be a nurse you have to have your degree already. other wise you will be a medic -... ....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.