Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 9 years ago

why does candy not dissolve in everclear?

I dissolve jolly ranchers and skittles all the time in vodka, but this time i tried it with everclear and nothings happened after 2 days!! why is that? is the hard candy not able to dissolve in the everclear because of its high alcohol content? I'm really curious why this happens since i thought all sugars dissolved in liquids

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A chemistry question, okay then. Its all about the hydrogen bonding(look up hydrogen bonding). Which then is a function of polarity and finally solubility. The candy will dissolve in the alcohol but it will take a longer time. This is further complicated by the fact that it is often difficult to separate the effect of solubility (the maximum amount of substance that can be dissolved) from solvation (the speed at which a substance goes into solution).** Alcohol is less polar that both water and the sugar. Because the sugar and water a very polar the sugar readily dissolves in it.

**Another consideration is Le Chatelier's principle, which I leave to you to research.

{We could look into ethanol's solubility related to its -OH group and being a homogenous mixture (a solution) with water which, has many polar -OH and O charges.}

More of why:

The maximum amount of a substance dissolved in a given volume of solvent is called solubility. Often, the solubility in water is expressed in gram/100 mL. {For example, the solubilities of some common substances are given in the Table of Solubility, listed in the HandbookMenu as Solubility.}

Table sugar C12H22O11 Solubility 100 mL/g 211 Temperature /K 298

*Table sugar is very soluble in water

A popular phrase used for defining solubility is "like dissolves like". This statement states that a solute will be best dissolving in a solvent which has a similar polarity to itself. Liquid solubilities normally follow this rule. Non polar plant oils, like olive oil and palm oil, are easily dissolved in non-polar solvents like alkanes, but are less soluble in polar liquids like water. The principle that “like dissolves like”, is the usual with solubility in organic systems. If we take an example of petroleum jelly and gasoline, petroleum jelly will dissolve in gasoline because they both are hydrocarbons. Petroleum jelly will not dissolve in alcohol or water, as the polarity of these solvents is very high. Another example is: Sugar and gasoline. Sugar will not dissolve in gasoline as sugar is too polar as compared with gasoline. A mixture of gasoline and sugar can be separated easily by filtration or extraction with water.

Simple finds

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/...

http://www.blurtit.com/q481889.html

Source(s): Beer, Wine, Spirits, Chemistry, gotta love it
  • 3 years ago

on an identical time as there are some alternatives that is greater appropriate than others if she's no longer a great number of a drinker then probability is she'll be ill in spite of what she drinks. something rather candy, like wine coolers would make her ill. Southern convenience and Coke is one among my favorites yet nonetheless, for somebody who does not drink oftentimes, undesirable determination. in basic terms verify she does not eat something rather greasy earlier hand and don't permit her combination all categories of drinks.

• flott
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Jolly Rancher Moonshine

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, sugars are hydrophilic meaning they dissolve well in water. But they will not dissolve in organic solvents like alcohol.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

yes. everclear is wayyyyy stronger than regular vodka. i'm pretty sure it is not even legal in the state im from.

• 9 years ago

MAD MAX YOUR COOL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.