Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 decade ago

Why is insurance coverage for a 2011 Mazda 2 cheaper than a 2007 Ford Focus or Hyundai Elantra?

I just got quotes for a new Mazda 2. Full coverage on the Mazda 2 will increase my total premium by

$163. Full coverage quote for a 2007 Focus would be $187 increase. Full coverage quote for a Hyundai Elantra would result in a $176 increase. I find this very surprising. I thought used cars were supposed to result in cheaper insurance coverage.

Favorite Answer

Not always.

Part of your insurance premiums are based on the cost to fix/replace the current model.

If vehicles are in another 'class' and parts are more expensive for these older models, then the insurance cost will fall in line with the costs to replace the parts on the vehicle being quoted.

Plus, the Mazda 2 is a sub-compact with less Horsepower than an 07 Focus or Elantra. Part of the cost is based on that, too.

Each insurance company weighs things differently, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a quote from another carrier, the 2 could be a higher premium than the other two vehicles.

• Rob R

My God! Are you ever going to buy a car? I've never seen some one make the process sooooo complicated. This is not rocket science.

Go buy a car already. You are trying to save a couple dollars here...and a couple dollars there. My time is worth more than what you are saving.

Less horsepower equals lower insurance payment...usually. Go buy the Mazda 2 already and get it over with. How old are you? Are you 15 and just wasting time while on spring break?

From your friendly Mazda Salesperson :-)

• Mrbill

Ins Co feels you buy a new car and less things go wrong, Brakes tires and such. Owner will take better care of a new car than an old car. Scratch a new car and paint is easy to match. Old car might need paint and moldings as well. More to go wrong on older models.

Enjoy

• Brande

What's 20.00? Ain't much and and new focus is awesume.....

Source(s): 23 years gm of a ford store...