Legal for parents to say they're homeschooling when they're not?

I know someone who has four little girls, ages 3, 6, 8, and 11. Their parents claim to "home school" the kids, but they're not. There is no instruction whatsoever taking place. I value education highly and pity these little girls who will struggle in the world someday because of their ignorance. Is... show more I know someone who has four little girls, ages 3, 6, 8, and 11. Their parents claim to "home school" the kids, but they're not. There is no instruction whatsoever taking place. I value education highly and pity these little girls who will struggle in the world someday because of their ignorance. Is this even legal? We live in Indiana. Can I do anything? I'm their aunt. Talking to the parents doesn't help, because they claim they are having lessons and tests (but the girls have even told me they don't). The 11-year-old can't read, and can't spell the simplest of words. They are socially awkward around people, too. Please give me advice! (P.S. Before you home schooling advocates out there get your panties in a bunch, I'm NOT talking about you. I know that there are many children who are successfully home schooled and turn out great. But those are the kids who have dedicated parents who are doing what they're supposed to. Also, I know the song and dance about "alternative" forms of learning, etc. Please spare me those comments. Any way you try to justify it, there is a fundamental problem with an 11-year-old who can't read or write. For those who might tell me to "mind my own business", I say this: If you saw a child being beaten or neglected, you would have a MORAL, ETHICAL obligation to step in and intervene on the child's behalf. Depriving a child of an education is a form of neglect.)
Update: Kaz, that's ridiculous. In the public schools I've been in, if someone struggles to read or reach any other milestone, they are put with special teachers who work with them. Also, whether you agree with standardized testing or not, at least ISTEP and other tests can gauge if a child is at the level they should be... show more Kaz, that's ridiculous.
In the public schools I've been in, if someone struggles to read or reach any other milestone, they are put with special teachers who work with them. Also, whether you agree with standardized testing or not, at least ISTEP and other tests can gauge if a child is at the level they should be for their age/grade. New laws (at least in our state) hold children back starting in 3rd grade if they aren't passing.