Is the M-16 favored over the AK in the U.S. because they're American?

I believe depending on what part of the world you go to will determine peoples view on M-16 vs. AK. But if people believe the AK is incompetent, why did the Viet Cong for ten years slaughter U.S. Marines within meters with their AKs!? When the M-16A1 was produced, our troops were told it didn't need to be... show more I believe depending on what part of the world you go to will determine peoples view on M-16 vs. AK. But if people believe the AK is incompetent, why did the Viet Cong for ten years slaughter U.S. Marines within meters with their AKs!? When the M-16A1 was produced, our troops were told it didn't need to be cleaned and weren't given cleaning kits. Well lo'and behold, the M-16 jammed and the Viet Congs AKs kept on firing! The AK is an excellent survival weapon. So yeah, even the bada$$ U.S. Marines and their M-16s lost to a bunch of little gooks with AKs!