Large survival knives?

What are some really good large survival knives and some to stay away from

• Cody
    Favorite Answer

Big knives are a joke and you will make you stick out as inexperienced in front of truly experienced backcountry recreationists and professionals. They are no more useful in the woods than a normal length (4-5" blade) knife. What can a huge knife do that a smaller one can't (with regard to useful wilderness uses)? Big knives are awkward to use for most tasks, weigh too much, and since most high quality knife companies focus on realistic normal knives, you will probably end up buying a piece of junk. Get a strong fixed or folding knife from a good company that will remain sharp and not break in the field. Expect to spend $30-$100.

EDIT: I have to laugh at the guy who says he needs a big knife to defend against bears. You have a 1 in a million chance of fighting off a bear with a knife and surviving. If you are worried about bears, take bear spray or at least a gun. This is the kind of novice macho bravado that is associated with carrying a big knife in the wilderness. Anyone with any experience knows you aren't going to fight off any wild animals with a knife (expect maybe some hungry squirrels). As for never needing any of the tools on a Leatherman...again, that shows lack of experience and time spend in the woods. The tools on a leatherman such as screwdrivers and pliers are just as useful as a knife.

Most of the answers so far are the most ignorant I have ever read on this subject. A large knife gives you some great advantages in a true wilderness outing. People who claim it to be a "macho" thing have no skill or understanding of how to use large knife a large knife gives you good chopping power, a more robust cutting surface, and a much better splitting tool over a small knife. People who bash a large knife have never truly been had any primitive wilderness experience. If I am in a state park where you are not even allowed to gather fire wood and you must bring everything with then no, all I need is a folder but in the back woods of a forest a large knife gives you much more versatility than any other cutting tool. With a large knife such as a Cold Steel Trailmaster, or Ontario RTAK II you can leave the axe and machete in the car reducing weight. A multi tool is almost useless in the woods when compared to the uses of a large survival knife. I mostly use a knife with a 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 inch blade but when headed to the national forest in Arkansas for a 3-5 day excursion the 9 1/2 in blade on my Trailmaster is very nice to have around.MUST you have a large knife for survival ?........no but don't discount the advantages a large Bowie knife gives you because a few dimwits have such limited skills they don't they don't know how to take advantage of what a large knife has to offer.

A survival knife is whatever knife you have on you when the situation presents itself. What to look for in a bushcraft/ survival knife would be a quality construction, proper blade thickness and length and blade steel which is very important. Bark river and Fallkniven both make a quality product and typically use A2, Vg10 and Cpm3v steels. You can also find quality knives made by smaller companies like the 5.1 from Survive Knives. There are many choices out there and I suggest that people look up knife profiles and reviews and make a choice that fits their needs. You get what you pay for. Stay away from low end stuff. Many people also carry a folding knife as a back up and for use on small more detailed work.

Source(s): www.eliteedges.com -Knife Sharpening Service

I only bring a knife for the following reasons: opening cans with (which you can obviously eliminate by bringing much lighter foods) and as a safeguard against bears. In both cases bigger is better. I have never had any need for any of the gadget features of these little Swiss army or Leatherman type knives. I don't like folding knives because of the danger of it closing on your fingers, even if it has a good locking mechanism, because things break. If I'm hiking where there are no bears or mountain lions and I don't need a can opener, I don't bring a knife at all.

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

Many people think of large knives as a bad thing.I take a 12 inch KaBar but I have seen some people carry bigger ones trying to out do other people.Buck and Gerbers are great knives.I carry the Alpha Hunter Buck folder everyday and love it.But big knives are not a bad thing.I don't carry my KaBar because it is "macho" either.Don't buy the cheap made in China pieces of junk either.

Stay away from ALL large "survival" knives. They may be macho status symbols but they are a joke in the woods.

The best all around knife is a quality lock back folder (Gerber or Buck) that is no longer when open than the distance from your wrist to the end of your fingers, this is the blade AND the handle. Giant knives are of limited use in the wilderness unless you are planning to spend all your time butchering moose. Users are more likely to cut themselves badly trying to wield large fixed blade knives, plus they are awkward and heavy to carry. You want compact, handy and sharp, a knife you can wield with dexterity without stabbing yourself in the arm or leg. For cutting larger stuff like branches, carry a folding bow saw.

Rambo is a fantasy -- most skilled woodsmen carry more practical knives.

Source(s): Experienced wilderness explorer and I used to sell Gerber, Buck and Victorinox knives.
  • ameen

Explorer Wilderness Survival Knife

Check out the cold steel bushman. The knife is 20 dollars. Its a solid pice of strong steel. 8 inch blade. I have the knife and its better than some of my 100 dollar knifes. And its weight is perfect. With just my experience stay away from coleman.

I agree with c_kayak and chris. I've got a small fixed blade. Blade length is about 3 1/2 inches.