What does Iggy Pop performing on American Idol indicate?

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDQL0Y0TCGY

Youtube thumbnail

Has Iggy gone even more insane going on this show?

Is American Idol getting, GASP, better or is this just an anomaly?

Is it because Stephen Tyler is on the show?

Some other reason?

I never thought that maybe he needed the money!

Edit, Stella, I agree that It didn't look like J-Lo knew who he was and was quite uncomfortable.

• GK Dub
    Favorite Answer

I'm sure that American Idol is NOT getting better, in fact I'm pretty sure it's a sinking ship at this point, and I never liked it to begin with. Iggy strikes me as the kind of guy who will do anything, not because he's a sell-out or anything, just because he has an attitude like, "Sure why not?"

well, since some lowlife troll slopknobber felt the need to report my last answer.... I re-post:

Honestly?

To me it indicates how badly so many of the music snobs and purists need to get over themselves. I may not much like American Idol, but the way people act around here about it, and about what makes a credible artist, what makes a sell out, etc, is pathetic. Music may be an art form, but 99% of it is popular music, not "art" music, and therefore it is to serve one purpose: ENTERTAINMENT.

The Stooges. Metallica. The Beatles. Guess what? All just entertainment. They aren't some sacred answer to the meaning of life, or a measuring stick of one's superiority over another.

It's funny, we debunked Phrenology, and other such phony ways to measure IQ, and superiority, but people on here seem to believe that one can do it by looking at a person's playlist. I think Iggy didn't care if American Idol is getting better, worse or whatever. It was an opportunity to perform, and reach a whole new generation.. and ENTERTAIN. Nothing more, nothing less.

Seriously, AI had members of Queen, Aretha Franklin and many others out there. I think the performers get the point that we the fans seem to miss. It's just music. They are performers, and have a chance to perform and maybe mold some future performers. Basically it say's how badly music snobs need to get over themselves.

*Apparently some thin skinned cowardly music snobs found this answer insulting, and had to report it. Waah waah waah. Lemme call the Waahbulance for them.

Source(s): yes, this is Killer Peaches backup acct.

Having watched this show for a few seasons I can definitely say it is much more rock oriented this season compared to years past. So far I have heard Nirvana, Creedence, Judas Priest, The Pretenders, Ray Charles, The Doors, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, there's also been a couple guys singing older soul and R&B tracks. I don't know if that is due to Steven Tyler or just a decision by the producers to go in that direction or what. During the the auditions portions they seemed to be picking people who were singing more rock and soul songs than people who were singing contemporary pop.

---------

Oh, I wouldn't really say it has gotten better though, it is still not a great music show by any stretch of the imagination, sure there are decent singers on it, but there are decent singers on the subway too. At heart it is still basically a snazzier version of Star Search.

I'm with sugaree....so what!

Idol is and has always been about TV, not music. It's instant, fast, furious and disposable. Betcha Iggy knows this. The joke's on who....?

Same goes for Tyler. Like it or not, he is a perceived rock star, not a TV star, which are two vastly different entities. Let him play it out. As long as he's havin fun and makin some bucks, who (besides the faceless execs curating the endless parade of wannabes) cares?

Everybody now, even if you don't need it...take the money, laugh and have a good time! And when it's over, get on with it...

Mornin Beatle! That was a strange occurance for me to see Iggy on AI. Like Jennifer Lopez even knows who he is, right? She looked "uncomfortable" near the end when he was in front of her. I personally loved seeing Iggy, just not that show (jmo). But Iggy has always been his own artist, so who knows why in god's name he performed last night.

I don't know if AI is getting better. I had a lot of hope in better judging w/Tyler. During the tryouts and such, he was much more direct and honest. Now he's on the air, he just doesn't bring it and gives the same reviews. Now Steven is a great rocker and I was hoping he would be kind but forthright in praise/criticism. He's been around for quite sometime so my hope was going to bring some realism to not only the show, but the performers as well. He tells everyone of them that they are great, etc. WTF?!? That Paul just plain ole sucks. Jacob too. When Paul sang Johnny Cash the other night, my reaction was "Johnny is rolling over in his grave listening to this dude butcher his song". Kinda wish his ghost would have shown up. THEN the show would've been interesting! ;)

• Vash

I missed that episode, thanks for the link, but I didn't appreciate Iggy Pop as much as most. And as soon as he started gesturing that was it, I turned it off I hate that crap on a program on t.v, especially live, whereas at a concert instead it is at least somewhat tolerable, not necessary though in my opinion. I think that Steven Tyler lends a bit to A.I. in terms of harder older rock definitely, and is a good thing. A.I. is not necessarily getting better, they could and should still bring in the likes of Simon Cowell to say it as it is. I guess it is not so easy as people think to stare down a person and say you stink while trying to still encourage and support them. Simon could do it and did it well and they never replaced him really. So in that sense A.I. in not getting better the producers need a wake up call.

• Lucy

I don't watch the show regularly but I did watch the link. All I can say is that if an old guy is going to run around without his shirt he'd better be entertaining, and I thought he was for the most part, although the sporadic sound problem was rather annoying.

I saw it, it was a horrible performance, I still like Iggy Pop, but that was a stupid performance. American Idol is still lame, I respect Stephen Tyler, he's an awesome singer and more talented than the other judges, but in my opinion he sucks at judging, he doesn't ever have any good advice, it's just simple words. :-)

I'm not sure about the answers to all your questions but I really enjoyed watching that performance! I never watch Idol. Stephen does look pretty happy. It's nice to watch an artist with some real talent!!!

I doesn't indicate anything other than that Iggy is FEARLESS. He doesn't care what other people think about him, just like Steven Tyler doesn't care.

It looked like nobody knew how to act around him and that was quite funny.