Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Was King David a bisexual?

"I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women." -- 2 Samuel 1:26 (King James Version)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He did love dancing and shiny things a lot... Course, he could have just been a candy raver.

In the ancient world, male-male friendships were considered more uplifting, honorable, etc. than male-female romances. Mostly just out of misogyny. Ladies just weren't worthy of such feelings. Also because warfare was pretty much THE occupation, and having your warrior bestie was a good way to further one's chances for survival, or at least of being avenged in a manly, dramatic way.

At the same time, stigmatizing homosexuality is mostly a modern thing, too. There were a few Jewish laws on the subject, sure, but they were mostly a reaction to ritual temple prostitutes employed by neighboring civilizations. "We don't do stuff they do. We're better than they are. They're gross." Nobody would have minded it David and Jonathan had been Brokebacking it up.

David definitely loved the ladies, though. All that carrying on about Bathsheba? So bi, sure, let's go with that. Honestly, we're talking about a historically not very important ruler who, though the power of legend, became his people's King Under the Mountain. Speculating about his sexuality is an exercise in silliness.

• 10 years ago

I have heard people say he was Bi, and I have heard people say he was Gay. Reading the story about King David, there are many hints he was gay, because the Bible states he did not want to marry a woman, and was forced into it. but of course no one can be sure

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

No. God would not have honored and blessed him if he had been. It is a true sign of our evil times that anyone who has a friend of the same sex is accused of this. They were just friends not sexual partners.

• 10 years ago

That's not what it means.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

By reading that quote I would have to say yes.

• 10 years ago

How, exactly, can you disprove that a particular person is NOT bisexual? Think about it.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Yup, he was a two-way street. If you know what I mean.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.