Will FBI HRT accept applicants with NO tactical experience?

My plan after college is to work for 2-3 years at an accounting firm and then apply for an FBI special agent position. I'd like to join the FBI Hostage Rescue Team after that. However, I have no intention of joining my local PD or military to gain tactical experience.

Does the FBI accept applicants without tactical experience?

• Dreamz
    Favorite Answer

To answer your question, You do not need tactical experience to join the HRT. However, It would put you on top of the pile. The FBI HRT is having trouble staffing the HRT because very few agents want to join. The TRP is to get Military spec ops and civilian SWAT operators to apply for the HRT. If accepted, You have to be a special agent for 2 years before going through the HRT assessment. So even if you were a Navy SEAL, You need a degree and you need 2 years of SA experience. The best way to approach this is in two ways, First, have a special skill set, for example a foreign language. Arabic, Spanish would be very useful. If not, Then join the FBI's department SWAT team. From the SWAT team, move up to HRT. Remember, their still special agents. Anybody can kick doors and shoot guns.

Source(s): Tons of research on the HRT. A dream of mine as well.
  • raub

Hrt Estate Agents

Yes they do. It might be a little harder if you're going for HRT but to become a regular special agent they do not require tactical experience. That's what the FBI academy is for.

Source(s): ICE Special Agent

sure countless, the ultimate common having been 17 october 1989 while there became right into a substantial earthquake in California for the duration of a "international sequence" baseball activity. Had it no longer occured my brother woulda been on Nightline with Ted Koppel afterwards.

Unlikely with the pool of applicants that would be available WITH the experience. It is a highly specialized unit.

No..

Source(s): I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration..