Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 9 years ago

How long is the healing process on a foot tattoo?

Getting my first tattoo in June and i orignally was going to get it on the shoulder but decdied to get it on my left foot where the fatty part is near the big toe , curious as to how long and how painful the recovery will be and do u gete xtremely swaollowen? and if anyonehas any tips on prevention oraftercare of the tatto it would be greatly appericated thanks :) and does numbing cream work?

Favorite Answer

It will get a little swollen, but not extremely swollen. Tattoos usually take about 2 weeks to completely heal, but every tattoo and person is different. Some take longer, so take a couple days. It just depends. They will most likely wrap the tattoo after it's done. You can take that off about 4-6 hours after you get it. Wash it GENTLY with antibacterial soap. DAB it dry, don't rub it. Apply a THIN layer of unscented lotion/ointment afterward. It will most likely scab up and peel. That's normal. Just let it peel on its own. Don't scratch at it or pick at it. Don't soak it in water. Showers are okay.

I use Rocco's Old School on my tattoos. All natural. Heals faster than lotion.

http://www.roccosoldschool.com

DO NOT use numbing cream. Period.

And my foot tattoo was the most painful one I have. I would definitely suggest reconsidering the placement and go with your shoulder or something. (My first one is on the back of my left shoulder and didn't hurt at all!) The farther away it is from your heart, the longer it takes to heal. My shoulder took 2 weeks, my calves took 3 weeks, and my foot took a month to a month and a half! It swelled up SO bad that I thought the skin was going to rip every time I took a step!

But if you're going to get it there anyway, Ibuprofen will help with the swelling and the pain. Keep your foot elevated as much as you can to reduce swelling. Wear flip flops or sandals, NOT sneakers or boots or anything.

And make sure to use A&D ointment on any tattoos you get for 3 days, and use an unscented lotion 3 times a day after that, until it's healed. Once the tattoo starts flaking/peeling, DON'T pick at it!!!

Good luck!

dont use numbing cream and can react with the ink and make the ink raise out of the tattoo.... and your foot is the worst place to get a tattoo its the most painfull and it cant be covered tightly.... also tattoos heal depending on your body around 2-6 weeks.... also aftercare is simple just wash it gently and apply tattoo cream to it untill it healths also dont pick it or itch it and peeling is normal and the recovery is not painful its the first shower that hurts the most.

Source(s): i am 20 and have 23 tattoos and i also am a tattoo artist in my free time. i also have one on each foot..

healing is two weeks, it's the same for all tattoos. Don't expose it to the sun or to chlorinated water or sea water, it may cause an infection. It shouldn't get too swollen, you'll still be able to wear shoes. It'll hurt, but it depends on your pain tolerance. Definitely use vitamin A&D lotion or Aquaphor (by eucerin) for the aftercare for 3-5 days, after that, use a non-fragrance lotion. Numbing cream works for a short while, but it's a shallow numbing cream, doesn't get through to the muscle tissue. Good luck!

depends on the severity of the tattoo

it takes about 6 days and then your fine

Source(s): tattoes.com