High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection?

Quote HDMI, DVI and some Y/PB/PR jacks, unlike early RCA connections, has bidirectional communication.Quote

What do you mean by bidirectional communication?

They (The TV/cable box and/or recording device) knows when you are using HDMI and either one will know when the other is using HDCP.

I'm sorry can you or some one elaborate here.

Quote It's part of the hardware specification that movie studios lobbied to get built-in to DVD players,set top box , recorders etc. The HDMI /HDCP. signal is secure from point to point, you can't intercept it for recording.Quote

What so you mean by (( HDMI /HDCP. signal is secure from point to point, you can't intercept it))

And what happen with the movie studios lobbied to get built-in to DVD players,set top box , recorders to have HDMI /HDCP. signal.

Update:

Can you explain more how HDMI /HDCP works and why it blocks it.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

>bidirectional communication<

It means that boxes at both ends of the cable are able to talk to each other.

In the simplest case, for example, data flows only from your DVD player to your TV. However, in this case your TV can respond back to the DVD player with a signal of some sort.

>What so you mean by (( HDMI /HDCP. signal is secure from point to point, you can't intercept it))<

I don't know how this could be much clearer.

>And what happen with the movie studios lobbied to get built-in to DVD players,set top box , recorders to have HDMI /HDCP<

Huh? Movie studios do not want people making exact digital copies of movies which you and I both know would be all over the internet, without HDCP.

I respond to at least a few questions of people who are all worked up every week here because they can't make and post exact copies on the internet.

All this is really very simple. The people who own a TV show or movie get to decide the rules. Your buying one copy of a show or movie for your own use isn't the same as owing the rights. You would not like it if I came into your house and took your stuff and the movie studios don't like people taking their stuff and giving it away for free.

If this ever changes, such that this sort of content is given away for free, no one will ever spend their money to create another movie.

>Can you explain more how HDMI /HDCP works and why it blocks it<

The content is encrypted.

The questions you are asking are pretty basic and are covered in Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digita...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.