What could cause itching all over the body? (methylprednisolone not working)?

I started getting this itch a few days ago. First on my legs then arms, back, sides and stomach. Other places like feet, hands, and neck also itch occasionally. So basically everywhere. It itches like mad and I can't sleep at night.

I have started getting small red bumps in the places that I am scratching. I am not sure if the bumps are a rash, bug bites or just from scratching so much.

I went to the doctor and they game me some steroid pills(methylprednisolone), but they don't seem to be doing anything. Does anyone know how long it can take to work. It has only been 2 days, but if anything the itching is getting worse instead of better.

I thought it might be bedbugs but I looked for bugs and can't find any. Are there bugs that could cause this that are too small to see?

I tried using 1% Hydrocortisone Creme. But that did nothing.

I also tried claritin and that didn't do anything either.

Favorite Answer

Hrm,

Bedbugs are visible to the naked eye. So if you can't see any, then its likely there aren't any. However, house dust mites may not be visible to the naked eye and is the most common cause of allergies in the world.

It really sounds like you're allergic to something, might be a new soap you're using, dust mites or even seafood. 2 days of methlprednisolone or claritin will not relieve your itchiness completely. Give the meds 2 more days to kick in. In the meantime, take cold showers and get somebody to vacuum the place for you. Minimise the amount of carpets and rugs in your home and wash your bedsheets regularly.

Best of luck! Methyprednisolone is powerful stuff, with claritin they will work! Just give them time!

Source(s): Medical Student

I just went through something similar. I had an allergic reaction to a new medication, broke out in hives, and thought I would go crazy from the severe itch. I used Claritin, anti-itch cream, and anything else I could think of. My doctor gave me Prednisone. 60 mg for three days, 40 mg for three days, and 20 mg for three days. Within 8-10 hours of the first dose I had relief from the constant itching. Try to think if you have used any new soap, laundry detergent, fabric softener, new medicine, or changed anything that might be causing an allergic reaction. I don't know what dose of medication your doctor gave you, but you should probably call and ask when it should start to kick in. If it doesn't, go back to the doctor to get some relief. The only type of bug too small to see, that I can think of, would be mites. Then you'd probably need to see a dermatologist. You might want to get a referral to one anyone, if your MD can't help you get rid of the itch. It's totally miserable, I know.

Methylprednisolone Not Working