Why my parents should let me get a motorcycle?

I'm almost 17 and I want a motorcycle but my parents don't really want me to. I think there biggest worry is safety. What are some things to tell them to convince me to let me get it?

Favorite Answer

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'll say it anyways.

This is an automobile-centric country. There are too many cars on the road and not enough bikes. Drive a car for 10,000 or 20,000 miles before you get a bike. Learn how to drive in relative safety first. After you find out how badly people drive, then decide if you want a bike. Just remember, that no matter how stupid people seem to drive when you're in a car, they are 5 times worse if you're on a bike. The worst drivers are on the opposite ends of the age spectrum. Teenagers and the elderly. Teenage boys drive like idiots because they want to show off and drive too fast and crazy. Teenage girls are usually distracted, either texting or chit-chatting with their car full of girlfriends. The elderly have poor eyesight, poor hearing, compromised reflexes and sometimes dementia.

Like another poster said, let it go for now. Nothing proves immaturity more than not accepting the decision of the people supporting your ***, so you are proving the argument against yourself. Grow up, get a job, support yourself for a while, pay rent and cable and your own cell phone bill and buy your own food for a while. By that time, you won't need anyone's permission to buy a bike. That will be much more satisfying than convincing your parents to "let" you get a bike. You don't know it yet, but you are still a child and will be for another 5 years or so, and there is nothing wrong with that unless you refuse to accept it. When you're 30 or so you'll understand that. Most males are not fully "completed" until about 25, women a couple years before that.

1st I would say start out by taking a rider safety class, you will learn a ton of stuff that will save you on the road. 2nd thing I would do is try selling them on a 250 cruiser like the honda rebel. tell them that the thing is not fast at all. Yea you can do 60mph fine but hit 70 and its about done, and it don't take off super fast either. 3rd thing to tell them is how much money you will save on gas and bikes are pretty cheap to insure depending on who you go with. I started out with a Tank mini custom 50cc " I live on an island with a top speed of 25mph" when I was 16. I was able to talk my mother into it because it was such a small CC. The thing still did 65mph top speed so I was pretty happy =]. And no it wasnt a scooter it was really a 50cc motorcycle. But anyway good luck talking them into letting you get it. And ride safe

• roger

what part of no are you not getting? do you need help looking it up in a dictionary? only a petulant child, would whine and wheedle and moan mo one understands meeee. let it go, like a man. Your parents said no. thats the end of it. The only way it will happen is if you leave home and buy it on your own. I suggest you stay in a nice warm dry house with all the bills paid, save your money for a really nice bike, after you grow up and go away to college, once you are paying your own bills. and you want to be a smart mouth like me and do what you want, go ahead, do what I did, got a motorcycle got in a crash and am in a wheelchair for almost the last 24 years. Be sure and screw up your life, no kids, no money, and having help wiping your butt because you cannot do it by yourself. Still think motorcycles are fun??? dont be a foolk do something with your life, make your parents proud, instead of saying oh johnny? why he lives in the back room ever since his accident you know, never been the same, but we still love him, god bless his sole.

Your safety, your young, haven't been on the road on your own, I assume your male (that, there's a problem all of it's own - ha !)

Your parents have NOTHING more important than you (believe it or not). They do in fact know better, usually. Look, I've got no skin in this game, unless I see a young kid impressing his girl friend (or any other girl within viewing distance) on a motorcycle, then I just might end up with some skin in it.

You've got YEARS ahead of you, don't fawk'em up by being that 17 year old punk kid on a bike.

If nothing more you take from this, take a Motorcycle Driving Safety Classs. PLEASE !

After my head hit the 134 freeway going about 40 mph, my 18 days in the hospital cost more than my four year college education (including room and board).

But if I'd been driving a car, I would probably be dead instead, and probably the other driver would too.

I had the same issue. I took extra driving school, with a focus on motorcycling, to help encourage them and that seemed to work more than anything. If thats out of the question assure them that you will ride safely, smartly, never in poor weather, and ect. After that your good to go

As a parent with a 16 year old, there is NOTHING he could say to me that would make me feel better about him buying a motorbike.

There is a reason that hospital emergency rooms call bikers 'organ donors' - you are 17 times more likely to die in a bike crash than a car. So if a biker is involved in a crash, they start the organ donor process as soon as the ambulance calls it in.

their bigest concern is that dog they bought you, you never fed it. Now, a motorcycle, you won't take care of it. Just tell them that you will get a job, buy the bike yourself, and move out on your 18th birthday. I am sure they will say yes.

do what i did , get a moped first then gradually work up the ccs . they will hardly notice that you will be riding a power-full motor bike in the end .

you could get your own, you know save money, get you own place, grow up a bit then get big boy toys