how do i learn how to ride a motorcycle?

i live in san diego, ca and don't own a motorcycle. if i needed one which would be best for a beginner? any tips or advice? thanks.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Answer a few questions first.

Can I drive a manual transmission ?

Am I reasonably coordinated ?

Do I panic easily ?

Most bikes are manual transmissions, with a few exceptions. Unlike a car the "shift pattern" is just up and down with the left foot on (or under) the lever. The clutch is the left handlebar lever (the one that you thought was the rear brake like on your old Schwinn).

Taking off from a stop can be a jerky,lurchy stuttering thing till you get the hang of it.

Experience with a manual transmission helps, but isn't required.

Can you manage to coordinate your right side hand and foot and left side hand and foot ?

Your brakes are on the right.

R hand front, R foot rear.

You have to balance the input for a controlled stop.

Problem is, the throttle is also in your right hand and the clutch is in your left.

There are a number of things you must not do.

The one thing you cannot do is put your feet down trying to stop the bike if you think its getting away from you.You are going to get hurt doing that. Those old bicycle reflex's come back sometimes, you have to control the panic.

Seek a driving school or a friend with a smallish bike.

It's not really that hard.

I find most people can get the basics in 1 weekend of practice.

Enough to maneuver well enough to practice with confidence in a parking lot.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

It is generally accepted that a beginner learn on a 250cc motorcycle. Since you live in San Diego you will want one with more power. The Kawasaki 250cc Ninja, Honda CBR250R, or the Suzuki TU250 are the 3 most powerful 250's. You will be able to stay ahead of traffic without having so much power to get you into trouble. If you are buying new I would really recomend the Honda CBR250R. It had the best 0-30 time. For that stop and go city riding. If used the Tu250 is fuel injected, just like the CBR, for reliable starts and better fuel economy. Both the Honda and suzuki get 80mpg. The Ninja 250 that cycle world tested got 50 mpg. That is mainly because it is carburated.

• 9 years ago

How do I learn?

School is a great place to learn.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

They supply the motorcycle for you to practice on.

In most states, after you complete the course, the road test is eliminated and you automatically get your license.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

That "Sunset" is a smartie. Good advice on bikes, IMHO. Nice pic, too. Where the heck is Kansas? (kidding...) I would take the MSF rider training course first. You want to be sure that motorcycling is for you, before you spend money on a bike. THEN you go shopping!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Only way to learn to ride a motorcycle is by riding it. By practice.

• 9 years ago

it is best to go to a recognised motor bike training school . you may even be able to rent a bike there before you decide to get a bike . seriously this is the only way to learn !

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

learn how to ride a bike, then learn how to ride a moped, then move up to motorcycles

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.