do home security systems really work?

what are the benefits of the security systems and the ways it doesn't help at all? can't you just have a sticker on the window from the security company and the burglar will say "it's just a sticker, they don't really have a security system"? Thanks

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Casey
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

A few years ago there was a TV show on the Discovery Channel called "It Takes a Thief" where a former burglar would demonstrate how easy it is to break into the average American home. A couple of points I remember about the series was that a professional thief would bypass a house that had a dog or a security system because there are plenty that have neither. A pro can probably tell if a building has an active system or just has a sign or sticker on the door. Once someone on the show had their home "burglarized" (the host would show how quickly he could find and cart off their valuables), they would get a complete security makeover, which included new door and window hardware and an alarmed security system. Then after a few weeks, he would try to get back into the home and was successful in about half of the attempts because the family would leave a window open or forget to arm the system.

It was always interesting to me to see how quickly he could determine if a home was vulnerable and how easy it was for him to get in. He would then take everything, including cars, credit card information, jewelry, heirlooms, and guns within 10 minutes. If the homeowner had an unusual name, and it's displayed on your mailbox or property, he could call information, get the phone number, and telephone the house to determine if they were home. Bushes, fences, and other obstacles provided cover from prying eyes and he did all of his break ins during broad daylight. If the house was in the open or had a security system sign on the property he would simply bypass it for an easier target, though it could easily be determined if it were just an empty threat. They would know what to look for, such as contacts on the windows, specific wiring near the electrical meter, or an alarm panel next to the door, so I wouldn't trust the safety of my family or my stuff to a window sticker without an actual alarmed system.

An alarm is just part of the system, too. Safes that contain all your important papers and other small valuables, solid doors and windows with good hardware that are all locked, upstairs windows that aren't easy to get to by people who are agile and determined to get into, and not leaving highly personal information in the open and unlocked. They showed all of that and more in the two seasons the program aired. It always amazed me that people would get a free security upgrade and then about half of them would forget to use it properly, at least when the hosts made a return visit. A security system is kind of like health insurance or a good diet. It only works if you have it and continue to pay for it, though there is no immediate benefit that is easily determined. It's like the old joke about the two guys who are hiking in Alaska and they come upon a grizzly bear. One of the guys takes off his boots and starts putting on his running shoes. His friend says, "What are you doing? You can't outrun a grizzly bear". He replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun YOU." Same with a security system. They aren't infallible, but they are a deterrent, and are extremely hard to bypass if used properly.

Source(s): Long time homeowner and have worked in a large metropolitan area for many years and had some security training.
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): How Defend Yourself http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Paid Surveys At Home : http://OnlineSurveys.iukiy.com/?mZOh
  • 4 years ago

of course they work.. here...

Having a home security system in place can provide family members with enough warning to move everyone to a safe location in our outside the home and contact the local authorities if your system doesn’t do it automatically. Yes, installing a home security system can be expensive and a little time consuming, but the risks you face without one can certainly end up being a lot more expensive in the long run. One of the newest and biggest benefits of a properly installed home surveillance system is being able to know what’s going on in your home when you’re not actually there. Did you know that approximately every 20 seconds a home fire is reported? Consider this, if only your pet was home and a fire broke out, without a home security system chances are that pet would be in some serious trouble. From just checking in on your kids or pets to overseeing your valuable jewelry collection, a home surveillance camera is a great tool for keeping an eye out at all times.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Boe
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I would disagree with those that say the added cost is not worth it. I've had a break in the middle of they day. And once at night. While yes, the broke in they did not get anything as the alarm went off. Cops got there in 10mins. But the perps were already gone. The second time, the cops came and all I could say was I fired two shots. Ill leave it at that.

They other thing that works well with an alarm is your pistol. So when your asleep and the creep breaks in. You dont have like the ADT commerical say we got a burglar call is everything ok?. You have a mear seconds. So, it goes off you reach for your pistol and wait.

Look Ive got signs posted, stickers. It does not matter if they really want to break in they will. Have I had an issue since. Nope that was 10 years ago. But the problems that led to that that were living in the area and have since moved on. And people in the neighborhood are more alert to keep there eyes out. And we have several police officers who live in here now, and there marked cars are in thier driveways. That pretty much took care of all the issues.

if you in doubt get an alarm, it also lowers your home owner insurance policy. Its piece of mind if you ask me. I would recommend it to you.

• 9 years ago

I for one am not a fan of connected home security systems. The monthly charges and the false alarm charges add up quickly. I think a home security system that will either make an intruder go elsewhere or scare him off is the most effective. Get one or more of the loudest ear-piercing sirens that are available. If they get inside your home while you're away, motion detectors will activate the sirens and they will have broken ear drums if they decide to stay. The cost of a broken window or door to gain entry is in most cases less than a few months of alarm company charges. Just my two cents.

• 9 years ago

Well ever since we got a security system, no one tried to break into our house. The benefit is that you know that your home is secured and if someone breaks in, you will be notified instantly which will stop burglars to take time to steal all your belongings. THe only thing thats bad is that every time you get a false alarm by accident then you will be charged when the police get to you house. Other than that Im satisfied with the service.

• 9 years ago

As a pro contractor and ex ADT contractor I can tell you for a fact the Number 1 deterrent to a burglary is an alarm system sighn. Many FBI stats back this up. Second is a motion detecter light at your entrances, and third is a several Beware of dog sighns. Good luck

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

do home security systems really work?

what are the benefits of the security systems and the ways it doesn't help at all? can't you just have a sticker on the window from the security company and the burglar will say "it's just a sticker, they don't really have a security system"? Thanks

Source(s): home security systems work: https://biturl.im/BJ62Q
  • Howard
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Benefits:

1) Peace of mind when you shut your eyes at night.

2) Homeowners' insurance discount.

Ways it doesn't really help:

1) It does nothing to stop a person from hurting you or your children.

2) It does not bar entry, nor does it improve police response time.

A sticker is better than nothing. It should deter the extra-dumb ones.

Despite hair, smell, and poop, a barking dog is the best choice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.