What part of San Antonio should I stay in?

My husband, our two daughters (16&11) and myself and visiting America (from Australia) in October and we are planning on going to San Antonio. But we don't know where to stay. We would like to go to Sea World, the River Walk as well as outlets such as San Marcos Premium Outlet. Can anyone recommend accommodation from personal experience?

Favorite Answer

All of those places are very far away from each other. If you're going to stay downtown (the Riverwalk) make sure you have a rental car. But also make sure the hotel has free parking because parking Downtown is insane and you'll be looking at $7 a day.

If I were staying in San Antonio I would stay at the Westin (LaCantera). Beautiful hotel and beautiful area. La Cantera also has the best stores. Pretty much every girl or woman that visits it says it's shoppers paradise. Fiesta Texas is also right there so if you want to visit Six Flags as well it's just a hop and a skip away. The Rim is also across 1-10 and they have Off 5th (the Saks outlet) and Rack (the Nordstrom outlet) as well as a host of other stores not included in LaCantera. For dinner LaCantera has a lot of restaurants, mostly chains but good none the less. You can go to Stonewerks, BJ's, Red Robin, Maggianos, Mama's Cafe (breakfest), Bravo Italiano, PF Chang, Grimaldi's, ZTejas, Kona Grill, Yard House (supposed to be the most selection of beer), Red Lobster, Olive Garden and I forget the steakouse's name. All of these places have websites so you can check out the menu online. For eating downtown I'd check out Biga on the Banks and Pearl Brewery (old brewery, serves as stores and resturants now). Also check out the Grey Moss Inn.

Another great thing about staying at the Westin, If you go down 1-10 you will hit Downtown. If you go west on 1604 you'll get to Sea World and if you go down 1604 East you'll hit 35 which will take you to San Marcos. So you're kind of in a good spot to get to all of your destinations. And you don't have to stay on the Riverwalk to enjoy it. You can spend a day on the Riverwalk, a day at SeaWorld and a day in San Marcos. Just a little insider tip, Hemisphere Park has free parking and it will take you right to the Riverwalk, so you don't even have to bother paying parking for the day.

Oh and get to San Marcos on a weekday and early. If you go on a weekend, you'll have to contend with the Nationals (people from Mexico) and you'll be able to pick them out because they always come in groups of 10+ and always have TONs of bags (I once saw a guy buy 100 pairs of Pumas, take them out of the boxes in the parking lot, throw them in his suv and then he left the boxes just sitting in the parking lot). It was bizarre.

If you go to San Marcos may I suggest Salt Grass steakhouse, it sits over the river and I remember going one time when classes were in session (it's next to Texas State) and everyone was sitting on the grass around it just relaxing or jumping off the fall that Saltgrass sits on. It was nice relaxing day and the scenery was what you would expect from the Hill Country, laid back. Since it will be October it won't be getting cold yet and the weather should be fantastic. You could have some lunch and then go outside for a little relaxation. It's not that far from the outlets either. Just make sure you sit either right on the windows or outside on the patio overlooking the fall. And if you enjoy that, make a day of Gruene, TX.

All of these suggestions can be checked out on the web. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Source(s): Here's the link for the Westin: http://www.westinlacantera.com/ and the link for LaCantera: http://www.theshopsatlacantera.com/

Look on Priceline.com. Im staying in SA this wkend and saw a hotel for 37 bucks! Also some good ones for 55 a night.