Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Why was Elizabeth Taylor sooooo?

interested in AIDS research??? I am curious why she picked this over Cancer research, etc..was their some personal experience she had?

Favorite Answer

I saw something on tv the other day, can't recall where (but I want to say it was a segment on The Joy Beyhar show), that she had a sister-in-law or someone who was dating a brother of her's that contracted the disease back when it was still very misunderstood, so she took up the cause. Other than that I'm unsure.

I know she was friends with Rock Hudson, but this supposedly preceded that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Taylor#HIV....

Maybe that helps idk. I want to say this supposed quote from Beyhar came from Debbie Reynolds in response to Elton John's comments about them starting a foundation together....but I'm not quoting that as I'm unsure. As you may well know, Reynolds and Taylor remained great friends all their lives in spite of Taylor having a much publicized affair with one of Reynold's husbands, then later marrying him. This is why she was being interviewed on Beyhar in the first place. Look for the interview on the HLN website, and perhaps you will be able to locate the interview to which I'm referring.

Hope that helps.

Source(s): Wikipedia Google Joy Beyhar interview

Yes she was great friends with Rock Hudson who she was in Giant with (He was her husband in it) and he died of Aids. Hope that helps. That was when she started her first foundation and later one with Elton John and Michael Jackson.