Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Frank asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Say I go to west point or navy and play football?

Can enter nfl draft after like right out of school or leave early what are the rules on that

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Technically, at one point, you could enter the draft if you went to West Point, per the Alternative Service Option Rule:

Cadets accepted into the program, "will owe two years of active service in the Army, during which time they will be allowed to play their sport in the player-development systems of their respective organizations and be assigned to recruiting stations. If they remain in professional sports following those two years, they will be provided the option of buying out the remaining three years of their active-duty commitment in exchange for six years of reserve time."

However, this rule has been suspended, so if you were really interested in to going to either of those two schools for football, I would talk to your recruiter. Didn't work out for Caleb Campbell too well, as it was suspended before he even got to practice much with the Detroit Lions.

Source(s): www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Campbell http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2008/jul/25/nick_...
  • 1 decade ago

Go Navy. It doesn't matter when you qualify for the draft. When you sign up to go to one of the Military Academys you then are obligated to serve in the military for a specific amount of time after you graduate. They're have been instances where a player obtained a waiver to put off their military obligations for a short period of time but those instances are a very, very rare occurrence.

• c dubb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you go to WP or the Naval Academy, you're required to serve in the military for 2 or 3 years I think before you can play in the NFL. Your number one goal there is not to play football but to serve your country. If football is priority, go somewhere else.

• 1 decade ago

West Point! Army officers are way better then Navy Officers. JK Honestly i am in the army and i am bias but for football, Navy def.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.