Courtroom 302 by Bogira?

I'm taking a criminal justice class and we have to read this book while answering accompanying questions about it. I'm having a hard time understanding certain parts of the book (i have adhd) so i was wondering if anyone could simply describe the criminal court process to me as described by the author in the book. Thank you!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The operations of Courtroom 302 represent a microcosm of criminal law in its glory and its squalor. Judge Locallo is chiefly responsible for the success or failure of the assembly line that produces the results in his courtroom. He is a hardworking and highly competent judge. He has the respect of his fellow Illinois judges, and he annually provides us with updated legal developments in criminal law. But even a hardworking jurist like Daniel Locallo can find the enormous number of cases on his docket to be overwhelming. The major offenses and brutal criminals get the vast majority of attention. For the rest, several minutes of justice are all the attention that the system will allow.

Several individual cases wind their way through the year-long narrative of proceedings in Judge Locallo's courtroom. In any judge's life the occasional significant case appears on the docket. Known in the parlance as a "heater," it is a highly publicized case involving either a sensational crime or a well-publicized defendant. For Judge Locallo it will involve three white teenagers charged with a brutal beating of two young blacks who wandered into the wrong neighborhood. The racial overtones of the crime coupled with the political connections of one of the defendants bring substantial pressure to bear on the Judge. Because judges are elected in Illinois, the case has serious implications for Locallo's career. How such a case impacts the independence of our judiciary raises important questions for anyone concerned about that issue.

Other cases raise equally important issues touching the criminal justice system. Larry Bates, a small-time drug offender, also will spend substantial time in Courtroom 302. Like many other drug offenders, Bates must confront a legal system that cannot adequately deal with the drug problem in our society. Treatment facilities cost far too much to maintain, and politicians are more eager to spend money on prisons than on treatment. For a repeat offender such as Bates, prison may be the only alternative. The system seems all too eager to meet the cost of prison in the range of $25,000 a year rather than spend far less money for treatment. Drug offenses are the gristle that clog the criminal system and prevent the wheels from turning smoothly.}{

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.