High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection?

Why is it you cannot record if HDMI or component video is use . I cannot record of TV at all The only thing I can dig up on it is. Quote High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation [1] to... show more Why is it you cannot record if HDMI or component video is use .

I cannot record of TV at all

The only thing I can dig up on it is.

Quote High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation [1] to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections. These connections include popular ones like DisplayPort (DP), Digital Visual Interface (DVI), and High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), as well as non-popular or now defunct connections like Gigabit Video Interface (GVIF), and Unified Display Interface (UDI).

HDCP does not allow copying permitted by fair use laws Quote

Some one was saying this is do to CGMA-a than HDCP that's causing the problem.

Quote Copy Generation Management System - Analog (CGMS-A) is a copy protection mechanism for analog television signals. It consists of a waveform inserted into the non-picture Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) of an analogue video signal. If a compatible recording device (for example, a DVD recorder) detects this waveform, it may block or restrict recording of the video content.

It is not the same as the Broadcast flag, which is designed for use in digital television signals, although the concept is the same.[1] There is a digital form of CGMS specified as CGMS-D which is required by the DTCP ("5C") protection standard. Quote

Back in the old days before the set top box there was no problem .It seems to do it well more with HDMI and less with component video.

Many of the cable providers are giving out HD PVR/DVR that record on a hard-drive may be this is do to the copying permitted by fair use laws so people cannot archive it,put on a DVD,bluy ray or computer of fear of giving out to people or putting it on the internet.

So the cable providers know you cannot record it do to HDCP or CGMA-a
2 answers 2