Is wanting to become a movie director a "head in the clouds," "dreamer" career?

I want to become a movie director and screen writer. I don't care about fame, and I'm not really in it for the money. Besides, directors and screenwriters don't get that much fame at all. Actors are the ones that gets in the lights. But the writers? Zap! They're shoveled to the background. But... show more I want to become a movie director and screen writer. I don't care about fame, and I'm not really in it for the money. Besides, directors and screenwriters don't get that much fame at all. Actors are the ones that gets in the lights. But the writers? Zap! They're shoveled to the background.

But how hard is it to get a career as a movie director? How many open jobs is there after graduating from film school? People say, "Do what you love." Well, I like writing. And I like stories. And some stories I feel are important and should be told to people, and the best way to get messages to people is either by books or movies. That's why I want to become a director. Write and then direct a movie for a story that needs to be told.

Lots of my friends are saying go for it, I think this fits you. But one person said, "Get a real job." Eeeek!