Is wanting to become a movie director a "head in the clouds," "dreamer" career?

I want to become a movie director and screen writer. I don't care about fame, and I'm not really in it for the money. Besides, directors and screenwriters don't get that much fame at all. Actors are the ones that gets in the lights. But the writers? Zap! They're shoveled to the background.

But how hard is it to get a career as a movie director? How many open jobs is there after graduating from film school? People say, "Do what you love." Well, I like writing. And I like stories. And some stories I feel are important and should be told to people, and the best way to get messages to people is either by books or movies. That's why I want to become a director. Write and then direct a movie for a story that needs to be told.

Lots of my friends are saying go for it, I think this fits you. But one person said, "Get a real job." Eeeek!

Favorite Answer

Yes, it's a "dreamer" career. So what?

It's my goal, too. It's not an easy road, and you'll have to work a lot of other jobs while doing this on the side. It's not a career you fall into just because you have a degree. You need back-up plans, persistence, discipline, and you'll be putting in 40 hour work weeks after putting in 40 hour work weeks at your "real job."

But if it's really what you want, it's totally worth it.

Source(s): BA in Film, Grad student in writing

Becoming a succesful director/writer is no different than becoming succesful in any other line of work. If you work hard and are good at what you do you will be succesful. If you slack off and just assume that you will be succesful you will fail.

well you would need to finish school but just rememnber this almost anything is possible if you reallly want it, you have to make it happen. and you will have it. your head is not in the clouds it can be a reality:)