Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

If your dieting, is it better to eat five smaller meals a day than three big ones?

And why exactly?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it is better to eat more light meals everyday than three big ones. :)

• 9 years ago

It's not quite that simple. The reason why multiple smaller meals throughout the day are recommended are two-fold. One, people who are full of misconceptions about diet & exercise assume they have to restrict their food intake to an extreme degree. When exercising regularly, the body needs MORE fuel to keep going, and when people hear they have to boost their food intake to 2000 calories (usually women) or 2500 (usually men), they freak out and immediately think "I CAN'T EAT THAT MUCH!!!"

The second reason is that by eating smaller meals frequently through the day is to keep the metabolism moving. By getting the body accustomed to constantly processing food for energy, it doesn't have the chance to stop and get lazy. In this aspect, bear in mind that a "meal" may be something as small and simple as a piece of fruit or a protein bar. It doesn't have to mean a whole sandwich or a plate of chicken.

At the end of it all, though, it's just a matter of calories in vs. calories expended. Like I said above, when getting onto a proper eating plan, many people unnecessarily restrict their intake too much, which is why you may often see people -- usually teen girls and young women -- attempting to get through a day on 1000 calories or less (which is unhealthy).

Maintain a calorie deficit of 200-500 calories per day below your regular burn amount and get regular exercise 3-4 times a week at the least.

• 9 years ago

Yes. If you eat 4-6 meals a day every 2-3 hours, you will lose more fat/weight in a week, but you have to make sure you don't consume LOTS of calories. Eating every 2-3 hours keeps your metabolism high and the higher it is, the more fat you burn. If you eat 3 big meals, your metabolism will slow down because you have to wait for HOURS until your next meal. You will also not feel full and might even consider giving up because you feel hungry. I find it hard to eat 4-6 small meals a day because I get full fast which is good! Go ahead and try it. You won't regret it and good luck!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

My cousin lost 6 stone by eating 300 calories every 3 hours.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It has no inherent advantage, it's designed so that you plan out every meal and snack and space them out so you never find yourself hungry and craving food leading you to buy junk food.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes, it builds up your metabolism..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.