Breaking a lease with a doctors note?

We moved into a flat a few months ago and have since realized the outside stairs (2 flights) are ready to fall off and when we mentioned this to the landlord he said "it is what it is" anyway we also have a small son and I am 6 months pregnant. My mother in law said I can get a doctors note that states... show more We moved into a flat a few months ago and have since realized the outside stairs (2 flights) are ready to fall off and when we mentioned this to the landlord he said "it is what it is" anyway we also have a small son and I am 6 months pregnant. My mother in law said I can get a doctors note that states that the stairs are too much for me to handle (they are my back is killing me way worse than with my first pregnancy) that we can get out of the lease no problem. There are a few other problems with the apartment that the landlord refuses to fix. My mom said that I should go the tenancy board route and get in writing they wont fix stuff but how do I do that? If i ask them to sign a paper stating they wont fix anything they'll obviously just say no and promise to fix things like they did when we first signed the lease. Also I am hearing that since we signed the lease we were accepting the apartment as is but I know those stairs would not pass a safety inspection, the railing is very low and starting to fall off. If I go the doctors note route how many days notice do I have to give?
Update: These things were supposed to all be fixed. We were niave yes to not get it in writing but that's what you get for trusting people. I was just asking about the note I didn't think it was true and she seemed to be certain so I thought I'd ask here before calling the tennancy board and making an *** out of myself. show more These things were supposed to all be fixed. We were niave yes to not get it in writing but that's what you get for trusting people. I was just asking about the note I didn't think it was true and she seemed to be certain so I thought I'd ask here before calling the tennancy board and making an *** out of myself.