Polly
Polly asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Do you support "Made In America" products and the companies who stock USA made products?

The Smithsonian sells almost entirely "Made in China" souvenirs. An American Institution?

There is a small company who stocks only usa products, and I wonder what you think?

Would this solve sluggish mfg numbers here instead of importing duty free-china's stuff?

www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-milw... - Cached - Similar

Favorite Answer

I refuse to buy inferior quality products, that cost far too much, to support labor unions and union jobs. The labor unions have driven jobs out of this country. Labor unions have killed the concept of buying American made products.

Here's the problem most Americans fail to notice. Take a car said to be made in Detroit,sounds like the thing to do right". Then when you dig into where the parts come from it is basically more foreign than American as it's final assembly was here but most of what it took to put that car together came from places around the globe. Even some of our food is now coming from plants in other countries. You know times were hard for the horse and buggy trade when the automobile took over and i'm certain that those who failed to adapt lived the rest of there lives a little bitter; and blamed the Government.Well were going through the adaption period into the Global market. One last comment and that is,we became the top gun in the world because of agriculture and WAR. We became the worlds best farmers and makers of weapons of War. We only ruled the automobile market because War had held our competitors back due to there production was geared towards defense not consumerism. Now they have used our knowledge, and improved on it without union interference just as our agriculture is beginning to lag because of environmentalist. Not that either is totally bad but to much of any thing is usually not always good. So don't blame Walmart for being China's number one customer but your neighbor's an friends and your very own family for shopping Walmart and buying there Chinese goods.

• Babs

ABC Evening News did that week long segment on Made in America and in the end they discovered that if you made the effort to find American products, you wouldn't be paying that much more for them than you would the easily accessible, highly advertised imports. It was mostly furniture that you can buy American, higher quality, not that much difference in price and I resolved then that when purchasing a new piece of furniture, I'd make the effort to find American made. We need the jobs to stay here so it's worth it to me.

Sure a person could support American made products, but there would be many items a person would have to do without, such as TVs, computers, many appliances, even vehicles as all are either made in other countries or contain many parts that are made overseas. Almost every product you currently buy, as some parts or in part are made in other countries, even the furniture in your home.

You bet I do. Sadly the majority of Americans could care less about buying American or about boycotting the new media and entertainment industry. But I'm doing my part. We don't stick together. That will be our downfall. Successful boycotts are what started the issues in Nazi Germany.

I don't go for that whole campaign! We'd buy American if it was well made and more easily available. People were buying American cars, for example, until they were using too much gas, which was too expensive, and they were poorly made. Once you lose the market, it's hard to get it back unless people become dissatisfied with their present products. The unions and manufacturers in the US caused this problem and they have to work a lot harder to fix it. I'M not going to do it.

When ever possible I buy American made. I get so frustrated with American standby brand names riding on their name and selling Chinese junk only to pocket more money. Eventually they will run out of gainfully employed people to sell to.

truth be told between the US and Aus dollar .....much of AUS dollars have been spent online in the US

not something the government counted on -

I still really want that family of sea-things on the back of comic books!

That's the irony - buy local and tighten spending

never going to happen during an economic downturn

Source(s): Tell me you can still order them ~
  • Robert

Polly, if you saw a tee shirt with Mickey Mouse on it and one was made in China and one here, one was selling for 5 bucks, one for 25 bucks, which would you buy?

Yes. We need to boycott products from China. If no one buys products on Wal-Marts shelf that is made in China, they will change their practice of driving down cost too low where products must be made in China.

Buy local, it's green and it creates jobs.

The Government needs to back off our corrupt tax system and the over regulation, code enforcement, and zoning that forces companies to go abroad.