17 year old and HRT male to female?

Heya, so.. Every since I was a little boy, I was always fascinated with being a girl.. I don't know why but yeah. I do very much want to become a girl, I just have some questions about the transition and HRT. So here we go.. I'm what they call a "slow bloomer" so my body isn't that manly right now, so I assume that's good. My nose however is kind of big, but the rest of my face has feminine qualities. Does your nose become more feminine when you take HRT? Also, is it better to start early? I don't really want to have broad shoulders. And how do you start the therapy? Like.. where would I even begin? And how much does it cost + testosterone blocker?

I was also worried about if 17 (almost 18) would effect the transition. Would it be okay for me?

As far as confidence in my decision, I'm very certain I want this. All answers are very much appreciated. :]

Favorite Answer

Yes, HRT is much more effective the earlier you begin.

I am sure that, as a 17-year-old transitioner, you will be fine.

A good place to begin would be to see a gender therapist, or to start attending a transsexual support group. Oftentimes, they will point you in the direction of an endocrinologist who will take your insurance. The best way to make sure it's covered, is to have them deem your problem a necessity instead of an elective. The therapist can help you with this, because they can determine that your issues are very serious, and write a letter of recommendation for you to show the endocrinologist. I'm sure there are more technical aspects to this process, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to medical insurance, sorry.

Once the endocrinologist DOES prescribe you hormones, things will get better for you, I am sure of it. Hormones affect many aspects of your body, including your nose (LOL). I'm not sure if it will shrink or anything, but most everything changes in some way. Just be sure that this is what you NEED, not what you WANT. Like I said, the gender therapist can help determine this.

As far as confidence in my decision, I'm very certain I want this. All answers are very much appreciated.

you start by seeing a gender therapist. it's far too early to worry what hormones are going to do to you, but they will definitely change you.

it will be at least 6 months before you're on hormones, but you're starting at a good age. i started on hormones at 21. i'm 49 now, and have to tell doctors i'm trans, because they can't tell.

Source(s): boring suburban transgirl who flies airplanes