retiring to oahu - need a relaxed neighborhood - any suggestions?

Looking for a neighborhood close to shore, local shops, quite. Might look for a part-time job just so my might won't go to mush or maybe volunteer instead.

Thanks Bitracer...will check out your suggestions. Do you know if there are any classic car clubs on the island? I belong to CalRod, got a 72 convertable mustang that I show.

Aloha, Don the Beach Comber

• Kono
    Favorite Answer

Hey, you gotta mustang we maybe not let you move here, ok? I only kidding, you sound like my kinda guy, ok? Most important first, yeah, we got couple of good local car club, I LOVE the 72 'stang, sometime kinda overlooked by collector looking for older model, but I think they one of real classics, ok? Aloha Mustang and Shelby club have lotta great cars, and really great people too, they have show and shine periodically, and sometime they come to Corvette club meet, they have all type of Ford products, so we have great time, ok?

Where to live? Whew, I tell you so hard to answer for otha person, naturally you gonna want good garage, otherwise house not that important, rite? Hawaii Kai come to mind, close to my place, and you near water, but not rite on it, so 72 doesn't get all rusty, ok? Kahala nice too, but little more spensive, yeah? Here, the thing, you just gonna have to come, spend some time, rent maybe for awhile, and put convertible in dry storage till you get permanent home, ok? Good luck and look forward to see you, my ride black C4, 6 speed, 383... I know, I know, i won't get to close to you 'stang, some "cheby" mite rub off on it...

Peace and aloha to you!

Source(s): kapaakid

This is my standard answer that I give. There are good things about living in Hawaii and there are some not so good thing about living in in Hawaii. Living here is not a 24/7 vacation there are no grass shacks on the beach. I say this because people come here expecting it. And when they find out the truth they go back to the mainland disappointed and complaining about Hawaii.

Don't come here to be homeless. it is illegal and annoying.Have money saved.

Oahu is the most populated. There are areas where it really crowded. And other areas where it less crowded.

The weather great it does not get bellow 60 degrees.

Hawaii is expensive. Ninety percent of everything is shipped in this is the main reason it cost more. Gas prices are in the four dollar range. Visiting Hawaii is different then living here when you visit you don't pay rent or utilities.

Right now our unemployment rate is quite high . If you want to work in tourism it good to know another language. With out an college education you will need to work more than one minimum wage job to survive.Another think about jobs. If you are only going to be here for a short time jobs will go to Locals first.

Our Public Educational system is lacking. It goes way beyond the Furlough Fridays.

Hawaii is just as safe as anywhere else maybe safer. That is not to say Hawaii does not have crime. One of out biggest problems is with illegal drugs .We have everything the mainland has except for a few restaurants and stores. The water that surrounds us does not make much of a difference.

No Daylight Savings Time we never move out clock forward or back.

We have an excellent bus system on Oahu. If you are willing to take the time then it will cut down on gas costs. You can have car but you might want to take the bus most of the time and use a car only when really needed. Right now gas is in the mid to high three dollar range. I have seen gas at $3.49.

Hawaii is one of most culturally diverse place in America. We have several cultures here. Hawaiians being the most obvious. We also have a diverse Asian population; Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese (sp?). All these culture differ. And it is best if you learn the differences.

If you love food Hawaii is one of the best places to be. Due to our many cultures we have many different kinds of food. Try them all.

Since we have many different cultures in Hawaii there are many set of "rules" all of them slightly different. Make an effort to learn. When you make an effort to learn the the differences then you will be accepted.

There is racism in Hawaii, racism is everywhere. Some of the racism is aimed at Whites. Racism at White is not all that common so you will get Whites saying that all Locals and or Hawaiian are racist. That is not true. The Locals and Hawaiians who are racist toward Whites tend to be racist against other cultures. Racism is not right. But it does exist.

Not everybody who lives in Hawaii is Hawaiian. To be Hawaiian to must have Hawaiian blood. Or be of Hawaiian ancestry. If you are like me and have lived in Hawaii all their life but have no Hawaiian blood you are considered a Local. Do not call anyone in Hawaii "natives" if you have to say Native Hawaiian.

We also have a dialect of Pidgin Creole English. Or it is called Pidgin for short. This language was created during the plantation days. We had workers from all over Asia and the Pacific they all spoke different languages and the needed a way to communicate. So a new language grew and was created.There a some who hear Pidgin an the equate it with lack of intelligence. Do not do this!

Then there is what can be called "Rock Fever" some people tend to feel trapped because they can't drive anywhere else but Hawaii. There is no way you can drive into another state.

If you need to fly home to the Mainland then 1) take more time because you have to fly over an ocean first. 2) Will cost more because you have fly home.

Source(s): Oahu resident.

Come down to the country side. Like Mililani, Waipio, and Waikele. In Mililani we have a shopping center with movies, restaurants and a walmart. There is a lot of parks that you can go take your dog of you have one. They have a golf course if you like golfing. In Waipio there is a really big park that has pools, football fields, baseball fields and all that fun stuff. Ever year they have a carnival over there that you can go in for free and buy some food and ride some rides. There is a food land, and small local food places. Waikele has a shopping center that is mostly clothing places like Vans shoes, Coach,etc. They have a Sports Authority, Lowe's, and a kmart. All of these places are close to each other and it is peaceful here. They are about 40minutes away from the north shore depending on the traffic.

Source(s): Local Boy, 20 Years! 5th gen
  • ?

Kailua is the only one I can think of. Retire there.