TJ asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

what is a better long range caliber 7mm remington mag or a 300 win mag?

I am looking to buy a savage 111 long range hunter, but i can't pick which caliber is better for long range shooting a 7mm remington mag or a 300 win mag?

• Mac

The 7mm will be a flatter trajectory, but the .300 will have the edge in overall distance, less wind deflection, and precision at extended ranges, once it is sighted in for that distance. If it was a hunting rifle with engagements at unknown distances and easier hold-over calculations, the 7mm would be a good choice. But for sheer precision at the longer distances, get the .300 for sure.

I love my 7mm Mag, I dont really love the damn near $50 a box for the Hornady's I shoot, but I love the gun. I actually dropped 2 does last week with neck shots at about 150 yards. No meat wasted. I dont have anywhere to shoot 3-400 yards, but the guy who hunts land behind me does and he normally takes a deer every season at those ranges with the same gun.

Either round would be great. Myself I have a model 70 Winchester in a 7 mag and love it! Make sure you get you a good scope to go with it. Check out my sources

I would choose the 300, it has been used as a sniper round. There are moore long range loads available.