May I ask you a few questions?

today is autism awareness day and all of april is autism awareness month i want to see how aware people actually are by asking afew questions

answer with what you honestly know if you want to look up the answers after you answer yours feel free to but not till you answer first

Question 1. what is meant by "autism spectrum" disorders?

2. What are sensory issues?

3 true or false if someone is not diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder by age 12 that means they dont have one.

4. true or false autism is very rare in girls

5.true or false autism spectrum disorders are obvious and you can tell right away if someone has autism

6. what is asperger's syndrome?

i am asking this in this section for multiple reasons for one it is a biased survey if you you get answers from all communities so i would like input from the LGBT community as well

Favorite Answer

1 various developmental disorders (Autism, asperger's, HFA Rhett's)

2 Trouble processing sense sensations light sound smell etc

3 False

4 False but not many are diagnosed with Asperger's (I think this due to underdiagnoses)

5 False

6 Trouble with social situations is the first feature but sensory issues and narrow focus of interest are part of it ( I think that sensory overload could be the reason for the social awkwardness)

First of all, Autism is mainly a socialization disorder, it is common in males (1 in 60 males, it's rare but not unheard of in females).

You are born with it, you can not get it later on in life (or from vaccines/infections).

Although Autism has many symptoms (hence why it is refered to as a spectrum of disorders) the main symptom is the lack of theory of mind, the inability to grasp the concept that other people have their own thoughts and memories.

This leads to the hallmark observance of lack of desire to communicate (including talking, and making eye contact).

It has nothing to do with old age or sexual orientation, though it is more common in males.

Source(s): I have a degree and worked in health care.
  • Effy

1. I don't know

2. Again, I don't know

3. False

4. False

5. False

6. Well, the only bits I've been exposed to Asperger's is through the TV show Parenthood. It seems like there are quite a few challenges the individual goes through in order to rationalize reasoning and decisions in the way typical to people without the syndrome. But the show also shows the good parts about it.

I'm sorry I don't know much, but that's my honesty.

• oehler

are you able to ask the question in the header so as that I dont waste my time ? so truly than 'hi My magnificent acquaintances, may I Ask some Questions?' you should ask 'BQ1: Does R&P Hater crack you up? BQ2: Least fav album by potential of fav band? BQ3: Fav frontman?' your new %is magnificent.

1. Wouldn't know which might seem ironic later on in my answer

2. False

3. False

4. False

5. False

6. It can be several things, I should know since I have Asperger's syndrome myself.