Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

Is it bad luck to wear a ring on your wedding finger when you're not married or engaged or anything? ?

someone told me or was bad luck to wear a ring on the 4th finger of your left hand - the "ring finger" ... I don't know if this is true or any myths behind this. I'm asking because it is the only finger my rings feel comfortable on - and I wonder if I'll get back luck from wearing it on this finger!? thanks :)

i was specifically told that if you wear a ring on that particular finger than you'll never get married yourself. just an old wives tale or is it true or bad luck ooor?

• Jilly
    Favorite Answer

Well, bad luck IS an old wives tale.

Whenever I used to wear rings, it was always on my left hand because they got in the way of writing. My husband is currently in the other room playing video games. So - clearly - you can wear rings on your left hand and you still have hope of getting married someday.

The tradition of wearing a ring on the left hand is not as widespread as you might think so no it's not bad luck, It will be an old wives tale because in the past if a man met a woman that would be how he would tell without have to ask too many personal questions, it would have been considered bad manners. So women who did would not get married as people would presume they already were. Wear your ring where every you feel comfortable with it.

No, it just tells people you're not available. I have a ring my boyfriend gave me for my birthday after our first year of dating. It's not an engagement ring, it's not a stupid little "promise" ring, it's not a wedding ring, it's just a very pretty amethyst and white sapphire ring. I wear it on my fourth finger on my left hand to keep the guys away.

It is not bad luck. It WILL however keep men away if you are single. So if you're single and looking, don't do it. If you're in a relationship it's fine.

Well, it sure won't help.

Guys look to see if you're wearing a ring, or have a line where one has been.

You will look like a married woman, or recently broken up, if there is anything on your ring finger.

On the other hand, that is a great way to ward them off if that's what you want to do.

It may be backwards in Europe - I know other places they wear the wedding ring on their right hand.

But in the US, if you want to keep the guys away, go ahead and wear any ring on your ring finger. The only ones you'll get are the cheaters.

Luck, or the lack of luck, is all superstition. I wore my Graduation ring on that finger for years because it felt comfortable on that finger. Probably because I'm right handed and it never got in the way on my left hand.

What Is Your Wedding Finger

No, that is not true. You can wear rings on any finger or any toe and it has absolutely no effect on whether you will get married someday.

Jeez people are silly sometimes.

• Tamara

Can't see any way it would bring you bad luck, unless guys who would be interested in you think you're taken because of the ring.

I hope not. I wear a ring that my favorite uncle gave me on my "wedding" finger (I am divorced). It is a large, gorgeous mother of pearl. On my right hand I wear my late mother's filigree wedding and engagement set. Luck is what you make of it. :)

Only if you believe in this..I have a ring on my ring finger..doesn't matter to me..