Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 10 years ago

what was decided in brown v. maryland?

I have sources, but i cant understand what they are saying, so please be clear, thanks.

was the tax removed?

Favorite Answer

That's a tough case, so don't feel bad. There really is no easy, simple way to state it, but this is the best I can do:

In Brown v. Maryland, importers of foreign goods challenged a state law that required all persons who sold such goods to purchase a license. They alleged that it violated the ban on import taxes in Article I, section 10 of the Constitution, as well as interfered with federal authority over interstate and foreign commerce. Chief Justice John Marshall sustained both contentions. He formulated the “original package” doctrine, which held that the taxing power of a state does not extend to imports from abroad so long as they remain in the original package. Only after the goods became mixed with the general property in the state could the state treat them as it did all domestic goods for sale. Marshall held a license tax on the importer to be indistinguishable from a tax on the import itself. Roger B. Taney, who succeeded Marshall as chief justice, had argued the case as counsel for the state of Maryland, but he later wrote that he believed the case had been correctly decided.