Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

So what would you do in my case?

So what would you do in my case?

1. I am a very small, slender man. Five foot four, 109 pounds. I have been a victim of violent crime that has required over a week of hospitalization.

2. I cannot leave Los Angeles. I am an elementary school teacher. I am gay, and only two cities in the United States of America provide written contractual tenure protection of my job, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

3. I normally carry a .25 Automatic for self defense.

4. I live and work in high crime areas of Los Angeles.

5. On this forum, I constantly hear derision and ridicule for carrying a .25 Auto.

6. The Police Chief of Los Angeles, Charlie Beck

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/los-angele...

is also the President of the Local Chapter of Handgun Control Inc. In his keynote address to that organization last January, he bragged about the fact that Los Angeles has 3.8 Million people, and he has only issued 23 Carry Permits.

7. The Sherriff of Los Angeles, Lee Baca,

http://www.lasdcrimeinfo.net/_lasd-images/exec_pho...

also is a proponent of gun control. Los Angeles County has Ten Million people, and Sheriff Baca has issued approximately 500 gun permits; largely to judges, district attorney investigators, arson investigators, city councilmen, and political contributors to his election campaigns.

8. Los Angeles is underpoliced. Los Angeles has about 10,000 officers, and is the second largest city in America. By contrast, Chicago is the third largest city in America, and has 30,000 officers.

The LAPD deals with gangs and street crimes by sort of overlooking the 4th Amendment protections against unlawful searches. Law enforcement in Los Angeles County, both LAPD and the Sheriff's Office have a policy: Young males in high crime areas WILL be searched for weapons. In areas like downtown, or the subway, or metrolink, police will cordon off an area and search all young males. I have gone through several stop and frisks while riding public transportation.

9. In my experience, the ONLY gun that will pass a cursory street "stop and frisk," is a high quality, compact vintage Colt or Browning .25 Automatic.

http://www.hansenguns.com/images/babybrowning1.JPG

http://www.icollector.com/images/1160/14675/14675_...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/87270/996284...

(The current Taurus .25 Autos are too heavy and bulky). I have thus far, successfully passed stop and frisk searches by the Los Angeles Police Department, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, and the Los Angeles Community College Police.

10. My current method of carrying my weapon , is via pockets I have had sewn into four of my sport coats, which carry the weapon in an unusual place. I live in Los Angeles, in a poor neighborhood, and there are a lot of illegal alien women who normally do sewing piecework at home for money, and I am used to have all my clothes custom taylored for me. For example, I am very slender, and it is my habit to have all my clothes taken in for a better fit. So it was a simple matter for me to have a few extra pockets sewn in to my jackets, although I am sure it must have puzzled the seamstresses as to why I wanted the pockets.

11. So what would YOU do in my case, instead of carrying a .25 Automatic?

LAPD ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS checks for ankle holsters. ALWAYS. Know why? They are a FELONY in California. It is an EASY way to get a gang member off the street.

King George.

If you open carry in Los Angeles, you will at the very least, spend the night in Los Angeles County Jail. You cannot open carry in Los Angeles. I don't know what anyone has told you, but you cannot do that here. You will be arrested. Period.

Favorite Answer

In your situation I would either carry the .25 concealed or get a permit to open carry a .357 revolver (my preferred handgun) or something similar.

What I would also do is move to a lower crime suburb of LA or San Francisco and change my job to one in a lower crime suburb. I would not continue to live and work in a high crime area under any circumstances and I would prefer to go into debt to buy a home in a low crime area than stay in a high crime area. I would also participate in gun reform activities as one poster has suggested and insist on the upholding of the second amendment and of the Californian rights also.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION

ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have

inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and

liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing

and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

i also live in the anti gun state of california and all tho you cannot carry concealedd (legally) because it is almost impossible to get a permit you can openly carry as long as your weapon is unloaded. i know this sucks but unfortunately it is the only way to carry legally. i suggest you carry you gun in a open holster and you magazine(s) in a magazine pouch on your belt this will deter anyone from trying to attack you and you will have the ability to lock and load if youperceivee a threat to your person.remember even if you carry openly when inside a vehicle you must follow the laws regarding transportation of a firearm. read the laws carefully before doing so there is a group called california open carry that you should look into i will post a link to it. even a tho a 25 auto is a decent weapon remember in a moment of self defense you want to make sure you stop the attacker imidietly and a 25 auto lacks the stopping power i would suggest at least a 9mm this caliber is decent even if your worried about the size of the gun there are sum nice small framed gunslike the khar pm9 and the compact glocks lik the 26 and 27. good luck and stay safe!

get a car, never be far from your car, and keep a rifle or shotgun in there.

when i enter LA county I always have a car gun. usually its a random long gun I own. under state law, its legal to store a long gun in your car, provided that its unloaded, ammunition separate in a lockable container and the gun is put within a case of some kind. lately for minimum time to load up my gun I've been carrying my H&R break action with me, the caliber is a bit excessive and its a bit expensive (.500 S&W mag) but its the fastest gun I can un case, load and bring up to shoot.

otherwise instead of a rifle or shotgun I "transport" a handgun in my car. its not stored in my car, only transported. under state law that means to and from a range (I always say I was planning to go to the range after work but something came up or I'm going there right now). it needs to be unloaded locked with a CA-approved lock, ammunition separately stored. so i do that. to support my "going to the range" story I have my eyes & ears in the car, as well as a few paper targets. I also have a local range membership card and the people at the range can support my story as I do frequent there quite a lot. handguns due to state requirements takes much longer to ready for defensive use, so I've learned a few driving tips to use it as a weapon. basically my minivan is a steel box that weighs 5600 lbs and can quite easily roll someone over. it can also accelerate away from a dangerous situation quite easily. as for added protection I keep a knife (legal fixed blade knife) within reach but hidden from view while I'm driving, so if something did come up not only I can use my vehicle as a weapon I also have a knife. I call it my BFK (big f'ing knife- 8" blade) it was a chinese AK bayonet, now its a big f'ing knife.

on my person I only have a stun gun and tactical bezel 400 lumen LED flashlight. stun gun stuns people, the tactical bezel flashlight substitutes my fists. and its really bright.

Carrying illegally is going to end up bad for you- a felony conviction, loss of your job, and you'll never work as a schoolteacher again. Use that gun in self defense, and you WILL go to jail- and when the state gets through with you, the Feds may want a shot, too. If I were you, I'd think long and hard about whether that tradeoff is worth it. If I stayed, I'd get a big can of pepper spray. But if I were you, I'd move. Vermont is a lovely state, with no restrictions on concealed carry.

• Karle

would suggest u get involved and turn Ca into a SHALL CARRY state......yea its gonna take a lot of work .....but u gotta start somewhere....

also would suggest getting involved in the Open carry protection movement.....

http://www.petitiononline.com/CalOCPet/petition.ht... << sign the petition.....

also get laws changed in CA to make it a preemptive state which would take the power from local sheriffs and put it back in the hands of the state legislator......which would give u better firearm laws since things done at that level face a much higher level of scrutiny by the public.......

** as for getting a more current model gun get a kel-tec p3at,p-32 or ruger lcp...since any of them are considerably smaller than the taurus pt-25 and not much bigger than ur browning.....and have better reliability not to mention drop-test ratings.....and u can get better defensive ammo in .380 than .25........

• BBean

Your questions never cease to amaze me! Thank God, I have been wrong thinking where you have carried up until now.

What I would do instead of a .25 auto? Well, I would want wear a chrome plated Harley-Davidson triple-row primary chain belt, but they are now illegal so plan "B" would be a cobalt-copper(beryllium copper) interlocked serpentine-like belt for arthritis of the hip or lower back or something.

carry a glock 27 .40 on the inside of a boot, sew a pocket on the inside of the boot... have you ever seen an officer frisk the inside of your boot? maybe you don't like wearing boots but that's the best idea I have for you.

I guess a .25 is better than nothing.But I'm curious,what excuses do they use to justify a search ? ( lies included )

i am proud of you for disobeying california's unconstitutional gun laws. have you considered a ja380 that has all new parts and a polished feed ramp?

I would carry a .45 ACP but you may not be able to hide it as well as that .25.