How long after the closing date will my first payment be due?

I want to buy a home soon and I would like to be able to move in by the beginning of August. How long does the whole process usually take from the time you apply for a mortgage to closing the deal? I don't want to get started too early and be stuck with an apartment lease and a mortgage because if I remember... show more I want to buy a home soon and I would like to be able to move in by the beginning of August. How long does the whole process usually take from the time you apply for a mortgage to closing the deal? I don't want to get started too early and be stuck with an apartment lease and a mortgage because if I remember correctly there is a time limit for completing the mortgage process after applying for the loan. Also, after I have closed when will I have to pay the first bill? Does it usually start immediately or does it take a month or two to start?

I've also heard about doing a lease-back or finding a bank that offers special deals where they delay payments for the first few months. Any information about these would also be greatly appreciated.