Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 1 decade ago

Is writing on your hand with pen going to kill/hurt you?

Someone in my class was jotting down a quick reminder on their hand and all of a sudden the class was in an argument about whether writing in ink is bad for you or not.

So I was just wondering. They say that writing on your skin with sharpies will eventually kill you with a liver infection. But I tried googling it and I see a lot of different answers. Some people say it's OK and other people say it isn't.

Can someone explain? Like REALLY explain, with a scientific explanation and all that.

Favorite Answer

NO ink eventually washes off your skin and they are non-toxic. Unless you put it on an open cut then it's not going to cause any life threatening infections. It would take a lot of pen ink to make you sick.

You could get an infection if you try to tattoo your self with pen ink.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_get_ink_poisonin...

It depends on whether the ink is toxic or not. If the pen (or package it came in) says "non-toxic" then it's not going to kill you.

If it says "toxic" then it CAN harm you. The only way you're going to get a "scientific" explanation is if you look up the specific ink.

Interesting question, but i think it wont because i personally have done in PLENTY of time and....well im still alive...in fact i have a reminder on my hand WITH sharpie right now... so no, thats just a stereotype.

• Tamara

Well I've been writing notes on my hands since I was in college and I'm not dead yet. You are actually writing on the dead layer of the skin, so it's not going to get in your blood stream.

no. ink is non-toxic.