Why is Madonna's nickname "Madge"?

Also, how do you pronounce it? Is it like "Mahj" or does it rhyme with "Badge"?

Favorite Answer

It ryhmes with Madge

My understanding of the name is that it was given to her by the British press. She moved to England and pretended that she was posh and so the press gave her a faux (fake) posh name - Madge

• Elijahovah6 years agoReport

I would say that respectable is YOUR majesty. But when you call mom or a housewife HER majesty. It means spoiled queen. okay, same as Madonna

Madonna Madge

• Д. J.

Well… Madonna herself didn't like the nickname ‘Madge’, until she found that it is the British shorthand for ‘Your Majesty’.

The Queen Of Pop, who shifted to London to live with her film director spouse Guy Ritchie in the late 1990s, hated it when the tabloid press began calling her 'Madge'.

However, when she learnt that the name was an abbreviation of ‘Your Majesty’, she became quite comfortable.

In 2009 Madonna left Britain to return to America, one of the reasons is because she was tired of being called 'Madge', she told the US Tv host David Letterman.

Complaining about the nickname which has already been adopted by some US tabloids, she also told Letterman: ‘You know, that's one of the reasons I left England, so I don't have to hear the word 'Madge' any more.

People say it means two different things. Some people say that 'Madge' is a colloquialism – do you know that word? – for kind of like a boring, middle-aged housewife. And other people say it's short for 'Majesty'’.

David Letterman responded that there was ‘some majesty’ on being a middle-aged housewife, to which the singer conceded: ‘Yes, I think it can be quite respectable’.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why is Madonna's nickname "Madge"?

Source(s): madonna 39 nickname quot madge quot: https://bitly.im/g2yW9